Lake Erie Bite 2024

Gill-T

Bullet Bob, bottom bouncing with crawler harness works really well in nearshore areas for eyes.once you locate fish vertical jigging will also work.  The trollers on suspended fish tend to cover more ground with more rods hence more fish.  2 guys 2 rods bottom bouncing can fill a cooler pretty quick and is not a difficult spread to put together.The “good old days” are now on Lake Erie eyes.  

• Like 1

Some of my best days on Erie have been "rod-in-hand" drifting bottom bouncers and crawler harnesses. Need enough wind to do it... usually 1-2 foot waves.

40 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

Mayfly blues

Fished yesterday out of Barcelona 60 ft of water silver,blue,or purple bandits worked best took home 11 nice walleyes no small ones

• Like 1

We marked fish west of the Catt in 72-77’ but they were not in the biting mood. Didn’t see anyone else use their net. Gave it two hours, smelled a rat and went inshore for bass. Mayfly husks everywhere 

• Like 1

We fished out of the Catt yesterday afternoon. Managed to get 3 and lost a good one. Marks were pretty good in 62 to 65 fow. Got the ones that would bite on harnesses.

Bull, where in the column were you getting them?  We were marking fish in the 20-25’ range and 5’ off bottom. 

1 hour ago, Gill-T said:

Bull, where in the column were you getting them?  We were marking fish in the 20-25’ range and 5’ off bottom. 

We saw the same thing on our screen and caught all fish between 20 to 30', tried bottom bouncers with worm harnesses and nightcrawlers all day not even a bite, I must do something wrong I can't catch anything on them and everyone else does ha-ha

Edited by Bull

5 hours ago, Bull said:

We saw the same thing on our screen and caught all fish between 20 to 30', tried bottom bouncers with worm harnesses and nightcrawlers all day not even a bite, I must do something wrong I can't catch anything on them and everyone else does ha-ha

Try running those crawler harnesses suspended when there is a bug hatch and fish are up in the water column.  1, 2, 3 oz inline keel weight seems to be the easiest as far as what I’ve used.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I tried to mimic the mayflies with one of those northland butterfly blades with a small piece of worm when I moved inshore and saw thousands of mayflies on the water. It went down on a rigger for 30 seconds and a bass hit it. 

IMG_6532.png

Edited by Gill-T
  • Like 1

We fished Barcelona Friday 6/21.  Launch was nearly full when arrived at 7:00 AM.  Landed 2 before we got all our rods in and then nothing for four hours.  Fishing picked up after everyone left.  Found a very good screen that we hit 4 times but could not get them to go.  Ended up with 7 by 3:00.  Sticks were the go-to bait down 40 to 50. Only saw 2 other fish landed.  

KIMG1304[1].jpg

• Like 2

We fished west of Barcelona yesterday, sticks on 4-5-5-6-7-8 color LC and worm burners on a couple of braid divers set on 1.5 and 2 out 100’ and two riggers. Everything took fish but by far the 4 and 5 color cores and the divers were the MVPs. Northern Lights stick and Pink Lemonade burner were 🔥. Ended up catching 22 by 11:00 and it was getting hot so we pulled and headed for Hanover to clean em up. We surely could have finished our 4 man limit if we wanted to stay longer.  

Last week we fished same water and same rigs with just two of us and got our limit in less that an hour and a half. Last week they were mostly 17” to 20” fish, yesterday there was a much bigger class of fish and we had mostly 20”+ fish when we quit. 

55 to 62 fow was best trolling 1.9 to 2.1 mph. 

• Like 1

We drove to Barcelona last Sunday walleye fishing was great. Had 24 in boat by 10:30am. Its just such a long drive from GI. We did clean our fish at Hanover. Busy at the cleaning station some  were coming from Barcelona others from Catt creek area. Question is when will the Eyes really start turning on in  Catt creek area ?? Or have they already and no one talking. Usually Center Rd area in 65-75 fow is great this time of year. We're just out for fun and trying to fill the freezer.  Not in any derby.

• Like 1

I’ve been away for two weeks just wishing I was on Erie.  Plan on hitting Barcelona on Tuesday for the first time this year. 
I usually don’t hit the Cat until the middle of July . Earlier than that, it seems a little inconsistent for me.  I had to laugh about a long ride from GI.  Try driving from Rochester and I’m almost as old as Biden!

I’ll start reporting next week.

• Like 1

Yeah GI means Grand Island. Were gonna hit it again  on Monday probably goin to Catt NW to Center Rd. area 65-75 fow. History says they should be there. We'll see.