Lake Erie Bite 2024

Gill-T

20 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

A friend went out today off Buffalo near red can and caught a bunch. 

Whats the Red can ? do you mean the Seneca shoal buoy? 

what

Posted (edited)

I confirmed with him that he was off the Seneca Shoal red buoy. Sorry this was a little late. 

Edited by Gill-T

Went for our first trip to Erie, from the Canadian side.  Launched from Turkey point, marked a lot of schools of bait, but no fish.

Then, we headed to the drop off and landed one very good size walleye (my first), and lost the other from a line snap.  It was 

and exploratory session, and we had to cal it quits due to waves.  Fish n' chips were fabulous!  Fish down 35' over 70 fow.

Home made worm harnesses with a perch colored spoon/flasher.  2nd fish came with line in water for only 5 minutes.

• Like 3

Made it to Barcelona Tuesday. Two man limit by late morning.  For some reason the wind was pushing 15 mph from the SSW most of the morning but my friends at the Cat said it was flat there.  We could only put three rods out trolling west fighting current and wind. Fish were between 45 and 50’. Harnesses and a few stick baits worked best on wire dipsey out 84’ on a 3 setting.

lots of undersized walleyes were caught too.

• Like 3

Another quick two person limit out of Barcelona today.  It took us less time to limit than to drive there from Rochester.  We found some fish in 61’ but most came out in 68’ red barn  area.  Everything for us today was on harnesses. Dipseys set at #3, 84-102’,  lead line at 7 color and riggers down 48’.

• Like 2

As living in NY about 20 minutes from the PA border, we usually have to wait till about early to mid July for the walleye fishing to really ramp up around here due to the migration from Ohio. But this year was different. Guys were getting 3-4 man limits here in Barcelona NY in the first weekend of June which never happens. The fishing here has been unbelievably ridiculous for it being so early in the season. Within 3 trips the freezer was full and it was time to fun fish.

Interesting info from a local. Thanks.  I usually plan on July 1 every year for my first Barcelona trip.  From what I am hearing, the big school hasn’t moved much east of the Cat yet. They seem to be staying around NE in PA through Dunkirk.  They should spread out soon..

Let the good times roll!  Guys in Dunkirk today limited out in short order as well.  Summer school is upon us. 

• Like 2

Took us until 9:30 yesterday to get our two man limit at Barcelona.  Probably because we were 1/6 starting out. Just dumb luck.  We stayed shallow and used harnesses and did catch a lot of shorts along with drum.  I probably should head out deeper next time. Seems like bigger fish were in 68’.  Hottest set ups were riggers at 50’ and wire dipseys set at three out 84 and 100’.  

• Like 1

Two man limit in two hours off the Catt. Three way rigs and riggers on bottom with worm harnesses. One short eye and 13 large sheep as well. Nice to be at fish cleaning station before all the boats came back. Zero perch. 

IMG_6577.jpeg

• Like 3

Saturday…Barcelona was a **** show #boats, so we left… fish were west off the Catt… 22-24” yellows, willow blades and Bandits, 2.2 mph, 55-75 ft deep over 80-100 ft

Edited by Shorthanded
  • Like 1

A heads up to guys thinking about going to the Catt this weekend be aware that Sunset Bay Shootout is 19th and 20th.  The majority of the field are trailer boats and that’s a 200 boat field plus or minus-lots of congestion in a pretty small area.  Dunkirk was busy last Saturday and Barcelona has been that way for a few weeks.  Good fishing and the word is out.

• Like 1

Good heads up. Good weekend to play around on Lake Ontario with the derby going on and an equally great bite.