Lake Erie Bite 2024

Gill-T

Friday the 19th is Big Fish Friday with Main Event Saturday the 20th.  Weigh in both days at Sunset Beach.  Rules a bit different for Friday start but Saturday is a Shotgun start of whole field.  Parking can be a problem as that is pretty congested area without an event. Just be aware of what’s going on.

1 hour ago, Pequod1 said:

Good to know. Looks like I better get there even earlier on Friday. There probably will be a bunch of guys pre fishing.

Just a heads up the “big fish Friday” portion of this event starts lines in the water at 6am. Luckily boats can depart from any port so it won’t be as crowded as Saturday will be. I’d probably still plan to fish dunkirk or Barcelona to avoid most of the crowd 

(edit didn’t see mr580’s comment)

Edited by 4426

Guesses on the average fish size for the winning box?  Knowing there will be calm seas, some will go for the home run jig bite. My guess is a 7 lb average 

Posted (edited)

Boy was I wrong about the shootout weights. 6.7 lb average won. 

Edited by Gill-T

Is that the average wieght for the winning box ?? My guess was it would be 7 to 8 lbs. Where can I look at the results of todays shootout?? Been all over internet found nothing. Thanks

A buddy of mine recently was in a big tournament in Ohio. He made the trip east and fished in PA. He did have a 35 lb bag on a practice day so there are big fish out there. Granted, a little west of us but I’m guessing the big fish were just not found in the shoot out.  It sure isn’t because they have nothing to eat. I took that shot near the PA border Friday.

55D3FEBF-CD16-4FAD-9514-35DB06F6CFFA.jpeg

That's correct... it's pretty simple. Add a fluorocarbon leader to the end of your leadcore. I use sticks, spoons or harnesses for eyes on leadcore.

22 hours ago, Michael 22 said:

Using lead core ... you just troll behind the boat with the lead core line and no downrigger? Iam a offshore fisherman and just starting to get into big water great lake fishing .. 

for the most part leadcore, but Dipsey divers, jet divers, 50+2 snap weight method, and downriggers can all be utilized to catch walleye, even experimented with some copper line last weekend. If you have any questions feel free to pm me 

My brother went off the Catt last weekend and got their two man limits in under two hours each day.  I imagine there will be a negative effect from the weather this week 

Was out of Dunkirk Wednesday morning until wind chased us off.  Lake had flipped with a different profile even out in 90 fow.  Now with a hard West blow through Sunday, things will be messed up.  Should have warm water back but strong currents from all the Ohio water that gets pushed to Buffalo end.  Probably most stable water will be well off shore and down speed will be all over the place.

My neighbor just got back from their cottage on the Canadian side and noted a fish kill was starting. This wind is going to mix things up pretty good. 

Did our annual trip out of Barcelona last week. Thursday our of Barcelona, Friday out of Dunkirk. Lake was flipped, dead fish all over and no one we talked to nor either of our boats caught fish. Was very tough. 

Good temperature profile off Dunkirk today with good screen and consistent bite.  Currents not bad either.  Some good steelhead in the mix too.

2 man limit this morning out of Barcelona done at 930, worm harnesses, cranks and spoons 80 to 100 of water, then went out deeper to 120 looking for Steelhead or Lake Trout couldn't find any I guess I really don't know what I'm doing for those species 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got a couple of good Barcelona reports from those that got out early Saturday before the wind started cranking. Seems like the water has normalized 

• Like 1