Lake Erie Bite 2024

Gill-T

Fished Catt … 2 mi west of port 85fow, thermocline at 65 ft,  can you say bait, bait, bait (smelt). Never left this depth, east-west troll 2-2.3mph. Storm deep Thunderstick Jrs and original Deep thundersticks, one 18lb ****head and Walter’s 18-24”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, walleye hunter 101 said:

How many did you manage? Taking the granddaughters out tomorrow and wondering if I should head pst Dunkirk or right in front of the catt.  Any info is greatly appreciated.

Two man limit.  I like Hanover and Barcelona launches, personally. It was so calm today you could run anywhere you wanted. We had fish on the screen all day.

• Like 1

We fished out of Dunkirk Thursday and Friday. Two person limits both mornings. We fished straight out and in front of Purina. 65-80 ft. down over 80-95 feet of water. Most of the boats were fishing farther west. I try to stay away from the crowds. Our best lures were Warrior flutter spoons, Yaleye Moonshine Minnows and wormburners.

After a long three week break from Erie, I finally got back out of the Cat today.  Like everyone said, they are stacked from 85-95’

i went west to Dunkirk and found school after school of smelt. The eyes were in there eating heavily.  Harnesses on riggers set 66-70’, wire dipseys 150’ back setting 2 1/2 and lead out 9 and 10 colors..

Solid wall of fish out there. Get them while you can.

Walleyes are still stacked over piles of smelt off the Cat.  Fish were 85-92 for us but I did see boats out further and assume they were doing well.  Most fish came on the riggers 63-66 down with harnesses. Also managed a few on wire dipseys set at 2 1/2 out 130-135. We did not bother with the lead line.

I did hear of some nice perch catches straight out too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went out of Dunkirk again with same results as yesterday, 2 man limit by noon on stickbaits. They wanted it little slower today and a few different colors. Same depth on the riggers 66 n 60 with dipsys firing too.

Interesting that yesterday they wanted it over 2.5mph and today from 2.2-2.3mph. Whatever they want...

Today we took a little inventory of the waters off the Catt to see where we are in the seasonal cycle. We hopped around and sampled five different bands of water. 
-Off the mouth - shoals 37’- 52’ have scattered resident walleye (eater size). 

-62-64’ - have schools of perch with eater sized walleye mixed in

-80’ + has remaining Ohio fish to play with. Bring your riggers, dipsys and longer junk lines

- 42’ slightly west of silver creek had some impressive schools of white perch if that is your thing. 
- 23’-36’ contours were devoid of walleye and bass west of port. 

fish tacos tonight 

• Like 1

Yes. Very informative. I might add that in the last two  perch outings at the Cat I was marking what I thought were eyes but turned out to be big Cats. I landed three of them . One was 25+ lbs.  this was in 68’ straight out.