Canandaigua Canandaigua Lake Trout Derby 2024 Report

Jeremy and I fished the Canandaigua Lake Trout Derby this Saturday and Sunday and had a blast bring over 50 fish into the boat but couldn’t get anything larger than an 8.2 lake and a 5.1 Rainbow.

The fish population in Canandaigua is GREAT once you find the ones willing to bite! I heard from a few guys that stayed on the west side that the bite was tough. 

We launched out of the north and fished the east side all weekend with a lot of fish to keep us busy!  We marked bait in super tight about 30 feet but those fish weren’t biting for us as the best depth for us was 50 – 180 fow, all fish coming in the top 50 foot of the water column.  

MVP of the weekend was a custom spoons that need a repaint after brining in at least ½ of our fish that I have been sworn to secrecy.

The Elmer Hinckley 777 on a 3 color was a solid second place. We caught no fish on Flasher flies or Divers. Only long lines on the boards and a few on the riggers. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, adesalvo said:

Jeremy and I fished the Canandaigua Lake Trout Derby this Saturday and Sunday and had a blast bring over 50 fish into the boat but couldn’t get anything larger than an 8.2 lake and a 5.1 Rainbow.

The fish population in Canandaigua is GREAT once you find the ones willing to bite! I heard from a few guys that stayed on the west side that the bite was tough. 

We launched out of the north and fished the east side all weekend with a lot of fish to keep us busy!  We marked bait in super tight about 30 feet but those fish weren’t biting for us as the best depth for us was 50 – 180 fow, all fish coming in the top 50 foot of the water column.  

MVP of the weekend was a custom spoons that need a repaint after brining in at least ½ of our fish that I have been sworn to secrecy.

The Elmer Hinckley 777 on a 3 color was a solid second place. We caught no fish on Flasher flies or Divers. Only long lines on the boards and a few on the riggers. 

Canandaigua has consistently produced the biggest derby winning fish (lakers, browns, rainbows) of all of the finger lakes for quite a few years now.  I love this lake!  I didn't find any monsters this time around, but had a great time trying... through the weekend landed 26 lakers to 8.5 lbs and 5 rainbows to 4.5 lbs.  Congrats to all who placed!

• Like 1

We had similar action, also fishing the east side in the north end to about mid-lake. Had one missed small fish on flasher fly but everything else came on spoons and stickbaits off planer boards. 

First time ever fishing Canandaigua lake. We did all right had a late start Saturday. Caught that brown on a 3 color core. Awesome fight! I thought I was definitely placing first on the brown category…..NOT! Those were some nice fish on that board. All in all it was fun and caught plenty of fish.

IMG_6052.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 6/3/2024 at 5:37 PM, Matt ching said:

First time ever fishing Canandaigua lake. We did all right had a late start Saturday. Caught that brown on a 3 color core. Awesome fight! I thought I was definitely placing first on the brown category…..NOT! Those were some nice fish on that board. All in all it was fun and caught plenty of fish.

IMG_6052.jpeg

Great Work on the brownie! 

Nice going Anthony and nice report video as well. Those Elmer Hinckely spoons are great aren't they? I haven't even bothered using my Suttons anymore:smile: I'll bet you're in seventh heaven with the bigger boat now too:yes:

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 3:36 PM, Sk8man said:

Nice going Anthony and nice report video as well. Those Elmer Hinckely spoons are great aren't they? I haven't even bothered using my Suttons anymore:smile: I'll bet you're in seventh heaven with the bigger boat now too:yes:

Mike Stark last years derby winner and FLTA club member turned me on to them.  

I need to put in a new order.   

Thanks Les, fishing in the new to me boat has really helped me expand my options.