Line Counter Confusion

This may seem ridiculous but I would like an answer. Never had a line counter reel before.

Can I load my new line counter reel with more than 100 feet of line and still have the line counter show only the amount of line that has left the reel?  For example , if  my reel is loaded with 200 feet of line can it still show on the line counter only the 20 feet that I have released. Can my reel be loaded up with 200 feet with the line counter set to zero?  Hope this all makes sense.

jim

You should not expect the counter to give exact footage. They count the number of rotations, not feet. They are fine for going back to the same depth.

Set your line counter to zero. Pull out the line until it reads say 20. Measure how much line is out. That should give you a good idea of THAT reel is doing. Keep in mind that a full spool will play out more line at 20 than a spool 3/4 full.

I have been using them for 30+ years and never calibrated 1 yet. I just spool the same amount of line on each reel getting them close to full. I use the counter to get me back to the same spot I want to fish. if I let out 150' of line and get a fish I want my lure back as close to that spot as I can get, I have found with some line counters it's best to zero them each time before letting out line. many times my counters were on a half number and did not work, so I wouldn't know how much line was out. but now I try to remember to just reset my counter making sure it's on all zeros.

• Like 1

One revolution on a full spool and one on an empty are different by a lot . 

The number that reads on the counter is a reference . Not an accurate measurement . It's a relative number . 

Some of you guys concern yourselves with minor things that don't mean a whole lot and detract from actually fishing .