Flares - Pyrotechnic vs Electronic

So I made the switch, to USCG approved LED distress signal / flare replacement. Was wondering if anyone else made the switch and what you thought about the electronic device vs the standard pyro flare? If you haven't seen them yet, check out www.siriussignal.com . Aside from remembering to change out dated flares, I didn't like the idea of a hot fire on the boat when you are already in trouble.....

The electric LED flare is SUPER bright. I tested it of course when I got it and I wasn't ready for how bright the light is. I was seeing spots for several minutes after I saw the flash. While it is on, it flashes the SOS distress code. It would definitely work at night....

I bought one this year as well. I was sick of having buy new flares every 3 years and then having a box full of expired ones. They are super bright, and hopefully will never have to use it.

Both USCG and NYS Parks Marine PV inspectors readily accept the Electronic LED Flare.  Seems like the dated handheld flares just keep going up in price-IMO a rip off as the expiration is so short.  I’ve had the Electronic LED’s for at least 4 years.

23 hours ago, mr 580 said:

Both USCG and NYS Parks Marine PV inspectors readily accept the Electronic LED Flare.  Seems like the dated handheld flares just keep going up in price-IMO a rip off as the expiration is so short.  I’ve had the Electronic LED’s for at least 4 years.

Rip for sure. Been replacing them since the mid 80's and have never had a outdated flare fail.  Some were 20 years old. I save all my old flares, work great for smoking out wood chucks :-D.

Not sure if true or not but was told in order for the electronic flare to be legal you must have a spare set of batteries.

Requirement of spare batteries is not true by either state or USCG inspectors.  Batteries have printed expiration dates and I believe the regulations state specific length before replacement.  Normally they just turn on electric flare and that is it.  It’s been my experience that inspectors have made positive comments when they see the electronic flair on board.