O/B vs I/B, Pros and Cons

Jager

Thinking of selling my 21’ WA with a 150 O/B and 9.9 Kicker that has served me well for 7 years on Lake O and then going bigger to maybe 28-30’. I have zero experience with I/B equipped boats. Do I stick with O/B or go I/B? What do the I/B guys like about them and what, if any, is the down side! 
Thanks very much! 
Mike

Inboard or I/0 , some people don't know the difference.  Straight inboards are easy to work on , extremely reliable and you should get 4 - 6,000 hours out of one that is maintained.  They are quiet when trolling , using about a gallon to the hour and typically 1 .2 ---1.6 mpg on a 28-30' rig . That is there big downfall ,along with not being able to trim the bow up as your drive shaft is permanently in a fixed position, so a I/O with the same power and hull will trim out to a much faster speed . The extra weight of the engines low in the hull will mitigate the rocking if in the ditch .I/Os are situated higher up and many ,not all will have a dog house to contend with . Or your deck is sitting a foot or so higher from  the water than a inboard model , if it's a flush deck  making it a bit harder to handle fish and raising your center of gravity ,,, more rocking . Not going to find many outboard cruisers in that length unless you go newer , like a Parker or a CC . I personally don't like fishing around the outboards vs a clean transom , to each his own . 

Edited by Bozeman Bob
  • Like 1

I’m an outboard guy primarily because of the boat I run. 
In the class you are talking about inboards are in my opinion the way to go for Great Lakes trolling. Clean transom for netting and an open deck for fishing. 
Just make sure what your boat will draft is comparable with the channel depth of the port you’ll be docked at. 

• Like 1

If you are looking for a dedicated fishing platform, inboards are the way to go.  Once you cross into the upper 20's and longer, it will be difficult to find, and expensive to own an outboard powered boat.  You will likely have twin powerplants.  Repowering, if needed will cost more than the boat is likely worth.  For a dedicated fishing platform, the outboards will be in the way netting fish, etc. and likely not any more efficient than a well-tuned inboard.  Even if you do use more fuel with inboards, it will take years to offset the cost of the twin outboard powered boat anyway.  If you ever had to repower, fuhget about it.  A rebuilt Chevy 350 is pennies compared to a modern outboard of the same HP rating.  

With that said, do the looks of a 28 SteigerCraft intrigue me?  Oh yeah.  The problem is, to find a used one for a reasonable price, it has likely been in salt.  I know people say they wash down and flush after every use, but still.  There will be corrosion and rust somewhere that a freshwater boat does not have.  There again, an inboard that has been in salt will likely be freshwater cooled, alleviating some of those worries.  

I have fished extensively on a single IO boat and hated it.  The dog house for one, all the weight in the stern of the boat for two, and the maintenance hungry outdrive for three.  Never again.  I never had an issue with fish, or fishing gear getting into the drive, but I'm sure it happens.  

I currently run a 26 Shamrock Cuddy and am happy with it as a dedicated fishing platform.  Steady in the slop, single SBC ease of maintenance and power, straight inboard Borg Warner transmission, open deck with a clean transom, keel drive protected running gear, paid for.  Would I move to something else if the right deal came along?  Yes, but it would have to check a lot of boxes.  A lot.