Down speed help

Dj goodson

Morning everyone, 

new small boat guy here. I’ve trolled a couple times on the lake but unfortunately a fish hawk or any other temp and speed system is currently not in the picture for this season. What would be your best guess to get to that magical 2.0-2.5 down at the ball via my gps speed and navionics?

I trolled for many years without one and caught my share of fish but I must admit , downspeed sure helps. 

I had a surface speed paddle on my depth finder . It sure did help . It didn't account for down currents but it was something I could use . When I got a hit I would see the speed and note the direction of troll to duplicate it.  .

Watch you cable angle  . That will help . 

Also do not troll straight , all ways be turning a little so you are going the right speed at least sometime.  

Dipsys are less dependent on speed as they are far behind the boat and any slight turn will slow or speed them up . Which IMO is part of the attractiveness. 

Also speed tolerant spoons . 

Better to go to fast than to slow. 

I should have put in there that I’ve been on the back of a few boats over the last 15 years mating. But I’m not in control. I’ve got a few , and had one solid day, but I was just trying to get a little more dialed in with a little direction from everybody. I’ve listened to my cables on my riggers. I’ve watched my dipseys. I have a 2 stroke that doesn’t care for low speed so I’m normally playing that 2.0-2.6 on my graph. I’ve done ok. Just wanna step it up a notch and maybe gather a little more information. 

Hey DJ - try matching speed and direction with the other guys out there too - That's always an option that can get you in the ballpark on any given day.  My FH transducer died a couple weeks ago and I fished two weekends without it - was tough but using others as a gauge and writing down heading and GPS speed along with looking at my diver rods I was able to keep it close enough to generate plenty of bites. 

Before Subtrolls, Fish Hawks and Depth Raiders most guys used downrigger cable angle and dipsey rod load to judge speed.  Just as important is to watch your spread so it’s square - if it’s off to the side that is another sign of current effect- adjust heading to stay square.  Those old LJ speed deals that you hang off the side have been around for 40 or more years.  Save your $$$ for down speed and temp unit.

For the crazy currents I’ve seen while using a 4xd, I’d suggest saving your money as well. Angles of cable based on ball weight are good to look at it as suggested, some use a thumper rod to know how fast when in 100ft or so. You can also put a flasher (blades) down to get an idea how hard there spinning. Once you get a sense of surface speed or start catching fish hone in on that speed. Dipsey as someone said with the bend of the rod is a good as well

Having a fishhawk helps build intuition about speeds very quickly.  Once you have some intuition, it isnt that hard to tell whether you are going too fast or to slow MOST of the time. Id say 80% of the time my GPS speed is between 2.2 and 2.7mph this time of year and I am pretty confident that my gear is running right.  I set gear at 2.5.  My fish hawk isnt calibrated perfectly but it is a good baseline.  

Where a fishhawk really shines when you are fishing with or against a stiff current. There have been a few times I have been out there and it amazes me how big of a  difference there is between GPS and down speed.  That said, your divers will also tell you if you are off quite a bit. Fishhawk gives you better information but you can certainly catch fish without one.  

I think its also worth nothing that boat and speed control are a big part of this as well.  I would rather go without my fish hawk than the throttle control on my kicker.

Before down speed and temp units we would run a thumper rod. Old style dodger and fly with a three way swivel and a 16 oz ball dropped from the three way swivel. More wire you let out the deeper it would run. Watched the action of the rod tip and it was not only very accurate the rig itself took many Kings when you found the right depth.