I noticed that alot if my treble hooks have a bent hook. Probably from me trying to get the hooks out of their mouths, and some are broken. What size hooks do I use to replace damaged hooks for standard and mag sized spoons. Tight lines...

There are substantial differences in the quality and strength of trebles. Replace the "iffy" ones with hardened trebles which appear thicker and are often designated as "extra strength" or "triple x" etc. OR change trebles to hardened stainless singles again the "triple xx" designation. The beauty  of the singles is they don't get caught in the net as often and are easier to get out of the fishes mouth without damage to either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sk8man said:

There are substantial differences in the quality and strength of trebles. Replace the "iffy" ones with hardened trebles which appear thicker and are often designated as "extra strength" or "triple x" etc. OR change trebles to hardened stainless singles again the "triple xx" designation. The beauty  of the singles is they don't get caught in the net as often and are easier to get out of the fishes mouth without damage to either.

Same size for the singles. Size 1 for regular and 1/0 for mags?

Always use 2x-4x strong hooks. And look for hooks that are welded where the shanks come together. That makes them stronger and line cannot get wedged between the shanks  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chinook35 said:

Always use 2x-4x strong hooks. And look for hooks that are welded where the shanks come together. That makes them stronger and line cannot get wedged between the shanks  

Do you have a favorite brand?

21 hours ago, dhhurlburt said:

Same size for the singles. Size 1 for regular and 1/0 for mags?

I am also interested in this

On 7/3/2024 at 7:20 PM, dhhurlburt said:

I noticed that alot if my treble hooks have a bent hook. Probably from me trying to get the hooks out of their mouths, and some are broken. What size hooks do I use to replace damaged hooks for standard and mag sized spoons. Tight lines...

I have #2, #1, and 1/0 for spoon hook replace on the boat

• Thanks 1

My favorite treble hook is an Eagle Claw LS 374 . Bronze or Chrome. They were the original equipment on NKs and Pirates . 1/0 on 28 ,and 2/0 on Mags . They are 2 x strong . I see no need for 4 x . Never once have I straightened one out . The finer wire penetrates better IMO . Also lighter weight helps action of spoon . The beak style point is sharp and easy to touch up . And they are cheap enough to replace.  I have used a lot of different trebles on my spoons and my rigs and always seem to come back to these . 

Ain't no way I am spending 2$ on a treble hook . They might be a little better  but not much . 

If they are sharp and your release is tight , they hook themselves in the hit. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Years ago I switched out basically all my spoons to Mustad SINGLE XXX stainless hooks. The only trebles I use are on my homemade flies. and I use various (beaked extra strength trebles on them as well as triple strength red Eagle Claw trebles) I use 1/0 for small spoons, 2/0 for mediums and 3/0 (and some 2/0) for magnum spoons. The advice above from others is on the mark too.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

I went looking for new hooks this season. I bought some Owners and some Trokar trebles for my meat rigs. The Trokar that I have linked has been really good to me. The #2 is what we used all Spring on meat rigs, but the #1's will be taking over as these fish start to get bigger. As HB2 said above the lighter wire penetrates much nicer, but you can't run these hooks with a super tight drag. Let the fish run and we've taken multiple fish on a hook with a fantastic landing percentage. They call them a 3x, but I'd fell better calling them more of a 2x. Again, plenty strong if you play the drag right. 

FireShotCapture303-TrokarTK934RoundTrebleHooks-FishUSA-www.fishusa_com.thumb.png.79c51ba60e82bdc598e6fc791a6b83a1.png