Was this price too high?

tim

I had a battery switch put in the back of a 20 foot pontoon along with the battery box 20 gauge wire going up to the front of the boat and two poles to put my trolling motor to connect to. $571. I think it’s a little lot of whack but then again I’m 70 and everything seems expensive now.

What are you using 20 gauge wire for?  Trolling motor hookup uses much heavier wire especially on a long run.  They probably also installed a circuit breaker too and additional cables for battery switch.  What’s your material cost and labor cost?  Marine wiring is more $$$ than auto wiring as well.  Go over the bill with the people who did the work.

Big difference in price- 20 gauge duplex marine 70 cents a foot and 2/0 is about 7 bucks a foot single wire plus your crimped ends that need a hydraulic crimping tool.  I added heavier cable for my downriggers and an ACR myself this spring and good marine components aren’t cheap.  

Any repair from any tech either home, car, boat, whatever, is very high these days...  marine repair costs are the worst.
4 or 5 years  ago, I took a 30 Hp Johnson in to a marine dealer that wasn't running right-They replaced the squeeze bulb on the fuel line, installed 2 spark plugs, and the fuel primer solenoid.$350..Thats MAYBE 80-90 in parts, and 1/2 hour of very light labor.. It didn't even fix the problem, which I fixed myself with a new $20 fuel pump...

5 years  before that another marine shop charged $350 to install a water pump in a little 9.8 Merc... I don't know how shops justify these prices but people pay them, so they keep doing it I guess.. I will NEVER under any circumstance take anything to a marine tech again as long as I live.. Prices are out of control....

First off , the OPs question should of been before the work was done ,not after . Not any different than someone buying a boat ,then asking if he got a good deal . Secondly,  labor rates in the car industry are anywhere from 150 to 200.00 per hour , how does that translate to the marine rate ,which is usually higher . Thirdly we don't know what the exact parts are ,or what they cost . People should ask these forums BEFORE , not after , the work is done or boat is bought , the ship has left the port at this point . 

I’m just asking not mad at the mechanic . After some of your comments I’m more at ease. For someone 70 years old $135 an hour seems a lot.i sound like my dad in the 70s.The reason I didn’t ask before , the mechanic that did the work owned the place and his prices were very reasonable. He just sold the business now just works there .

These days, $135  an hour is actually on the cheaper side, crazy as that sounds... so if a  marine mechanic/technician that owns a small shop works a full 8 hour day on your rig his labor for one day is $1080... Now, lets say he installed $1000[retail customer cost] in parts... Parts markup is standard at  40% give or take a few percent... meaning he paid $600 for the parts he sold with the job... That business owner paid himself almost $1500 for one days work.. Not bad..... I get it, you must pay those that have skills and training that you don't have.. Still labor and parts on anything mechanical these days is crazy... Costs $100   to have  snow tires put on these days.....

^^^ , BulletBob yes ,135.00 per hour is on the cheap side, especially for a Marina . Yes they mark items up ,just like auto repair shops , been like that forever.  You could bring your own parts in and they will just charge you labor . It's frowned upon and the repair shop will not be responsible for any of your parts warranty or fitting, working properly . Sometimes it cost you more bringing your own parts in , and if they don't fit or work , that's $$$ on you .You are forgetting the shops overhead in your analysis.  Everyone knows , Insurance has gone up , what do you think a commercial business pays for that ? Workman's compensation,  unemployment comp . , heating cost , electricity,  401K , health insurance,  real estate taxes , school taxes , office supplies,  office help , service writer , paying a mechanic 30- 35.00 per hour ( Going rate at most garages ) and I'm sure a handful of other things that cut into your actual profit . So a business owner is not sticking 1500.00 into his pocket for one days work .