Lure tape adhesive

I do a lot of customization of baits with various tape companies. I get frustrated at times by the lack of adhesion supplied to products I purchase. What does everyone use to make tape stick better?  I tried rubber cement and it ain’t working. 

2 hours ago, Gill-T said:

I do a lot of customization of baits with various tape companies. I get frustrated at times by the lack of adhesion supplied to products I purchase. What does everyone use to make tape stick better?  I tried rubber cement and it ain’t working. 

Stick with WTP products and you will have better luck.  A lot of the off brand tapes look great but do not stick good at all.  

I feel your pain bro . And these ladderbacks and die cuts are not cheap anymore . And tackle shops don't carry them much anymore . At least the colors and styles I want . 

7 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Stick with WTP products and you will have better luck.  A lot of the off brand tapes look great but do not stick good at all.  

Agreed, I buy WTP when I can. WTP just doesn’t have much variety. 

Make sure your lure is really clean before applying tapes.  I always use de-natured alcohol to wipe them down first and then wipe it with paper towel & let set for 5 minutes or so, then apply tape.  Any kind of residue (soap, fish slime, fingerprints paint oxide, etc) will affect how well the tape sticks. Also, on freshly painted lures, I let it dry for 2 days to make sure paint is thoroughly cured then the alcohol & tape.

Agreed. I will also make releasing cuts on the tape to reduce surface tension over curves and bends. 

How do you separate the tape from it's backing?  I use an exacto knife blade at the very tip of the tape and never touch the adhesive side with my fingers.

Yep, that is the way to do it. Alt WTP tape is fine for flashers due to large surface area but I run into trouble with ladder backs and eyeball stickers mostly. 

4 hours ago, Gill-T said:

This could be a thing of beauty but instead it has wings like a flying fish. 

IMG_6572.jpeg

I know a guy with a commercial cutter and a variety of WTP tape.......  

That J is a special plastic that almost nothing sticks to. Polypropelyne not acetate, I think. I'd go to an auto parts store & see if they have anything that sticks to plastic cheap auto skirts/bumpers or research any loctite that sticks to cutting boards.  (Do you get same results when laqdder put on the other way?)

Try contacting WTP at wtp-inc.com, or call 800-521-3399 (or 269-468-3399) and ask them.

Let us know how you make out.  (Tell them you're an active member of LOU and they may send you a few samples)

• 2 weeks later...