Posted (edited)

Once is lucky, twice…..we might be figuring some stuff out. 

Got my younger brother out today and we tried to get back on the kings. We had a couple hits and dumps early from silvers that we couldn’t manage to hook up with, out in 110 fow. We poked into 75 with the south drift out and got into some nice bait pockets and aggressive marks. Right away I got another nice king on the jig and then dumped two more on back to back drops. My brother then got hot and nailed a nice king which gave him some insane jumps and went on some crazy runs! Very next drop, boom he is on again, lands that fish as well after a long battle. After that flurry we lost our king marks and started fishing to isolated marks up high which resulted in my bro smacking and dumping a king (but snagging its lamprey) and me jigging my first ever Lake O Steelhead in open water! I then hooked an lost a laker deep (eh no harm there) and then hooked and landed a smaller laker later. 

Keep in mind that we are purposely staying away from the Lakers as best we can and only trying to jig to the kings/trout. After two dedicated trip for them, I’m beginning to decipher what on the graph is what based just on how they interact with the jig. I’m also starting to learn that jigs catch kings easily IF/WHEN you are marking and on kings. I think my issue in years past was not searching enough for marks I know are probably kings and not lazy bait filled lakers. Either way this jigging program is a riot and semi productive! In the last two  outings we have hooked 14 kings, 2 steelhead and 2 lakers. Only landed 5 of the 14 kings though 😂. Such is life! 

IMG_6725.jpeg

IMG_6717.jpeg

IMG_9291.jpeg

IMG_9290.jpeg

IMG_9289.jpeg

Edited by idn713
  • Like 14

Excited to give it a go this weekend!  Thanks for the intel.  This lit a fire under my butt to focus on jigging!  These things are a riot on light gear if you can get it done!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 13owhunter said:

Excited to give it a go this weekend!  Thanks for the intel.  This lit a fire under my butt to focus on jigging!  These things are a riot on light gear if you can get it done!

Riot might be an understatement! Most fun fishing around! 

3 minutes ago, Fly fishing said:

what you running for sonar

Lowrance Elite TI 12. Have my sensitivity and gain dialed for a clear picture of everything happening down there. 

I may have to pull the Lund down there at some point and leave Nothing But Net at the dock. We are headed to the Cape on Friday to pursue stripers and tuna, and most of the rods that we use for that (all built by yours truly) should serve double-duty for Lady O kings. I will reach out when we get back.

42 minutes ago, Gator said:

I may have to pull the Lund down there at some point and leave Nothing But Net at the dock. We are headed to the Cape on Friday to pursue stripers and tuna, and most of the rods that we use for that (all built by yours truly) should serve double-duty for Lady O kings. I will reach out when we get back.

Please do, would be happy to help! Have fun with the Striper and Tuna! We used to vacation at Cape Cod every year!

8 hours ago, eyecat said:

What kind of jigs do you use?

I am not sure it matters as much as getting it in front of the right fish but we have used a variety of jigs. The ones that have worked so far are the real image bass pro spoons in 2 oz and the mission tackle EJ jigs in 2 oz. We are sticking with 2 oz as of now in order to maintain vertical as best as possible given the current and drift.