Biggest togue to hit my deck yet

I had a steady, decent evening bite on Skaneateles tonight until I hit a double header.  Both riggers went off within seconds of each other. My deepest rigger kept peeling drag while I was reeling in a walleye on the other rod so i cranked down the drag a little thinking it was too light so it wouldn’t spool me while I left it hanging.  It was almost locked down and still peeling. I skipped the 19” walleye in and grabbed the rod and knew it was either a giant walleye or lake trout.  After 20 minutes of reeling in the 250’ of line it peeled off, i finally saw color behind the boat and thought it was a 32” walleye until it got close enough to see the spots. Almost didn’t fit in my net and measured out at 34” and weighed 13 lbs.  Took a long time to revive it in the 78 degree water but finally swam off.  What a day and what a fish.  

IMG_1577.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful fish!  Are you a native of a New England state?   I haven't heard the use of Togue for a lake trout since ice fishing for them as a kid with relatives in Northern Vermont.  

• Like 1

Nope, I’m a CNY native.  Just a fish nerd that has been studying fish from all over the world since I was 5 years old.  I also use words like pogy, bunker, mooneye,sawbelly, etc that, depending on what state or region you’re in, sometimes has people scratching their heads. 

• Like 1