Welp back at it again, and man I gotta figure out a different hook for these jigs. I got rocked by 7-8 kings today and dumped every single one a few seconds after hookup. Frustrating to say the least but very encouraging to know that I can pretty regularly manufacture bites jigging! Last night in a very relaxed jigging effort I went 4-5 on kings so maybe I was just due for a goofy morning. 

In any case I went 3-11 on my hookups. Managed a gorgeous fat coho and two bonus Lakers. Jigging Ontario is so darn fun! 

IMG_9319.jpeg

IMG_9326.jpeg

IMG_9342.jpeg

• Like 3

So many questions.

Are you using spot lock?

I switched to trocar eagle claw circle hooks for spoons. No misses now trolling.

Are you searching for fish then jig the marks?

Or are you blind jigging in deep water.

25 minutes ago, Bassin Bob said:

So many questions.

Are you using spot lock?

I switched to trocar eagle claw circle hooks for spoons. No misses now trolling.

Are you searching for fish then jig the marks?

Or are you blind jigging in deep water.

I spot lock over some fish, mostly when there are multiple marks on a bait ball. Otherwise I drift jig to cover water and find marks. I’m not motoring to marks, I’m motoring to certain depths and then drifting. Based on the drift activity, I decide what depths to work. I am very much NOT blind jigging. My eyes are one my electronics the whole time and I mark almost every fish I hook. 

As far as hooks go, I believe I need to upsize as the hooks that typically come with these jigging spoons run small. I think with the fluttering fall, and smaller hook, the kings just don’t get pinned really well a lot of the time. 

• Like 2

I am going to try some other jigging type lures that I have from my west coast saltwater days. A couple of them are similar to a heavy rattle traps where the line connects in the middle of the lure and they have two treble hooks. (mirrolure mullet????) I think you are much more likely to stick one on the fall with something like this than a typical spoon that rocks back and forth on the fall (with the hook in a bad position 50% of the time)  I will report back if I have any luck.

We struggled with staying hooked up just like you mentioned ,  lost several after a few mins of fighting even after trying to set the hook harder!  Landed my first jig king on a bass rod and plan on many more !   

IMG_20240713_113118.thumb.jpg.47b213b43d3ec18ae2a305737465e55f.jpg

Edited by HOLY DIVER
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, HOLY DIVER said:

We struggled with staying hooked up just like you mentioned ,  lost several after a few mins of fighting even after trying to setting the hook harder!  Landed my first jig king on a bass rod and plan on many more !   

Great work!!

• Thanks 1

Based on jigging the salt, single hook stainless trailers and reduced spoon profile in deeper water will increase your odds, as will a stiff rod and of course braided line. You can't drive it home hard enough. The lighter the jig or spoon, the easier time you will have setting the hook too. The learning curve is half the fun.

If they hit on the fall of the jig than the jig and hook can be upside down when you set the hook so it either goes into the bottom jaw or just gets no force than line pulls tight and immediately putts leverage in the exact opposite direction lots of good video and info out there from west coast and even lake Michigan I've been spending some time trying this on ontario but haven't fully committed yet I need to I also think mooching would work well especially with whole herring 

21 hours ago, HOLY DIVER said:

We struggled with staying hooked up just like you mentioned ,  lost several after a few mins of fighting even after trying to set the hook harder!  Landed my first jig king on a bass rod and plan on many more !   

That's awesome Doug!

• Thanks 1

We did a bit of jigging today after getting a few in the boat.  No bites but it was interesting watching them on the livescope.  At one point I had 3 fish following my lure for more than a couple of minutes. Id reel it up slowly 10 feet and then drop it down and they would follow.  No bites though.  We were only at it for an hour or so.  In that hour, I had at least 15+ fish  "interested."

I was using a moonshine casting spoon and a bucktail jig.  A lot of followers on both.  I really think that this style of fishing could be very productive if you dialed it in.  West coast style mooching could be the ticket.  Maybe a heavy bladed jig or alabama rig?