Question on dipsy leaders

As a light line purist, I cringe a bit at the thought of using heavier line than absolutely necessary but you have me thinking. 

I'll be out in the morning with someone that is more inexperienced than I normally fish with and I have 15# on a few rigs.  Probably a good idea to swap out some leaders this evening.....   Leaders on F/F shouldnt matter much anyways but 50# flouro is getting pretty stiff.  Wonder if flouro even matters.  A bit of stretch with mono isnt a bad thing with newbies behind the reel.

• Like 1

Since divers are not a stealth tactic I’m not so concerned about the line diameter. I usually run a 6-8’ 40lb  fluorocarbon leader.  I will occasionally run a 50lb mono leader as I feel it provides some give/stretch. I do not use snubbers. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BRsnow said:

What do inexperienced anglers do to break 25lb line? If you went to 50lb leader wouldn’t they just break the 30lb wire then?

No, 30 pound wire has a higher breaking strength of 50lb fluro. Just like 30 pound mono would break way before 30 pound braid?

19 minutes ago, fisherman21 said:

No, 30 pound wire has a higher breaking strength of 50lb fluro. Just like 30 pound mono would break way before 30 pound braid?

Bloodrun 30lb says it breaks at over 40lb. Big game 30lb is a 50lb IGFA line class, so there isn’t likely as big of difference.

Im assuming that the issue is getting wrapped around stuff and chewing up your line and not "snapping the line" due to "horsing" them in. 

I am a big believer in floro for other uses, but for this particular setup  (diver to flasher) i have used 30lb big game (green) for like 15 years and all is well in my world 

With flashers there is just so much potential for twist that heavier leader is nice I like 30lb fluro and if I run a spoon I'll use 20