Sad to see this

Ugh, that's horrible and my worse nightmare.

BTW....For anyone who leaves their boat in the water and wants peace of mind there are systems out there to monitor your boat and bilge from your phone. I installed the Siren Marine system on my boat, and went a little overboard with the sensors, but I have peace of mind when my boat is in Wilson, and I'm working in Sodus Point. There are cheaper systems like Sensar Marine which geofence your boat and monitor water levels in your bilge. It notifies you if it goes above a specified level or your boat moves. If anyone's interested let me know. They are pretty simple systems. My buddy Jeremy bought a Sensar system off me this Spring. Install is easy too!

Here's a pic of my Siren App.

Screenshot_20240716-074621.thumb.png.34595df0760a8e6dca332223e43dc78b.png

Edited by Yankee Troller

7 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

Rick, how is the device for checking on muskrats chewing on cables?

Just hope one doesn't ruin something on your boat

5 hours ago, Yankee Troller said:

BTW....For anyone who leaves their boat in the water and wants peace of mind there are systems out there to monitor your boat and bilge from your phone. I installed the Siren Marine system on my boat, and went a little overboard with the sensors, but I have peace of mind when my boat is in Wilson, and I'm working in Sodus Point. There are cheaper systems like Sensar Marine which geofence your boat and monitor water levels in your bilge. It notifies you if it goes above a specified level or your boat moves. If anyone's interested let me know. They are pretty simple systems. My buddy Jeremy bought a Sensar system off me this Spring. Install is easy too!

I was actually looking at these this spring as something to install this winter.  I'll chat with you next time I see you - couple questions I want to pick your brain about.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yankee Troller said:

Will these work without shore power?

3 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

Will these work without shore power?

Yup, they're hooked direct to a battery and use cellular/GPS to send the data.

This is definitely a terrible thing to happen to anyone.  As a longtime member of BoatUS I pay attention to their reports of insurance claims related to unattended sinkings while moored.  A large number incidents are due to poor or improper maintenance of key onboard systems that allow the ingress of water.  Since we do not know what exactly the root cause of this incident and likely never will unless the actual owner makes post here or elsewhere…let’s reinforce the preventative maintenance concepts BoatUS advocates in order to help our friends and neighbors avoid this kind catastrophe.  Regularly inspect all through-hull hose connections for security and serviceability, use stainless steel clamps and double clamp a necessary; keep bilge clean and clear of debris that could foul bilge pump(s), and check bugle pumps and automatic switches for proper operation before leaving vessel unattended for any extended period of time.  Check battery health/shore power connections.  Have a back up plan to have someone check your vessel after significant weather events.  I watched a great video from Capt Rich Hajecki regarding his fitting out of the latest Yankee Troller (Tiara) in which he installed a cellular-based vessel monitoring system and phone app that alerts you if/when something goes south.  I said a prayer for this boat owner(s)and pray all turn out well for them.

Looks like they got her out and it's sitting on the trailer by Tommy's . And that's a good thing . 

Let's Hope it's not to big of a job drying it out and getting it back up and running . 

Gill -T your to much good laugh on on Caddy Shack. I"d like to do a carter if you do them would like to fish that end of lake. I could trailer but why not pay a guy for a little fun. with local now how. Call me if interested Jeff 585-202-5=1275 Thanks Gill

Since we're on the subject of electronic monitoring systems, I'm going to make a pitch for a freezer alarm. Nothing to do with boating, but a buddy of mine lost everything in his chest freezer a few weeks ago and a couple of other guys on here have had the same thing happen in the not-so-distant past. I purchased a Temperature Stick monitor for my chest freezer two weeks ago. It works on Wifi and is easy to install. You set up alarms for temperature, humidity, or power loss (since these things don't work without power lol) and receive text messages in or off app with the option of email alerts to you or a designee. The sensor sends a report to the app once an hour, more often if you want. With the storms this week and Tommy and I being in Cape Cod, it was interesting to get notification that the unit hadn't checked in for three consecutive cycles and to see once we had power back how warm the freezer got (it went from 2 to 10 degrees in four hours). The thing cost $140, but there are some cheaper options on Amazon too. I figure you get what you pay for and based on the reviews chose to go with the Temperature Stick. So far, so good.

• Like 1

+1 on the temp monitor for the freezer. I lost everything years ago.  Worst part was I found out via the stink as it had been off for several days..  Monitoring equipment is cheap insurance these days.  I have a couple of temp monitors.  The govee one is about $60 and the app is pretty nice.  I also have one that isnt controlled via wifi/app and that is even cheaper.  My not save you when you are away from home but it still gives you an idea if something is wrong.  More importantly, I can guarantee my beer is ice cold.  You'll need lithium batteries in the freezer sensor if using a "dumb" one that isnt rechargeable.  They last forever.

You may want to check on the battery type. I have heard Lithium batteries don’t like cold temps below freezing 

Big rain yesterday on North Shore ... washed out lots of docks (and boats attached) out of 16 Mile Creek ... huge currents.  Walked down and spoke to a boater ... seems about 30 boats washed out into the lake, and he thinks about half of them sunk.  

Be careful this side of the lake, there's LOTS of hazardous debries in the water ... docks, sail boat masts ... you name it.

One nice thing about pontoon boats with an outboard, generally pretty near impossible to sink unless a catastrophic puncture of both tubes. Of course still vulnerable to hail damage, and they have their own limitations. Still, we sold our 23' ProSport and got a pontoon... last year...no regrets! It's perfect for an old guy on Champlain, our usual stomping grounds.

11 hours ago, Gator said:

Since we're on the subject of electronic monitoring systems, I'm going to make a pitch for a freezer alarm. Nothing to do with boating, but a buddy of mine lost everything in his chest freezer a few weeks ago and a couple of other guys on here have had the same thing happen in the not-so-distant past. I purchased a Temperature Stick monitor for my chest freezer two weeks ago. It works on Wifi and is easy to install. You set up alarms for temperature, humidity, or power loss (since these things don't work without power lol) and receive text messages in or off app with the option of email alerts to you or a designee. The sensor sends a report to the app once an hour, more often if you want. With the storms this week and Tommy and I being in Cape Cod, it was interesting to get notification that the unit hadn't checked in for three consecutive cycles and to see once we had power back how warm the freezer got (it went from 2 to 10 degrees in four hours). The thing cost $140, but there are some cheaper options on Amazon too. I figure you get what you pay for and based on the reviews chose to go with the Temperature Stick. So far, so good.

There is an interesting story there.

About thirty years ago in another country where I used to live everybody bought dollars on the black market to beat inflation. These dollars were not kept in the bank but in hiding places in the house.

A friend of mine took care of the house of an elderly couple while they were on a trip abroad. He swung by the house every few days to check up on it. Their freezer broke down and pretty soon the meat inside started smelling My friend came to check on the house and picked up on the smell. He decided to clean out the freezer so things would not get worse.. He threw out maybe thirty defrosted chickens and cleaned up everything. It turned out that the elderly couple had hidden their dollar stack inside the frozen chickens inside the freezer. He had thrown $120000 in the garbage.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, firedome said:

One nice thing about pontoon boats with an outboard, generally pretty near impossible to sink unless a catastrophic puncture of both tubes. Of course still vulnerable to hail damage, and they have their own limitations. Still, we sold our 23' ProSport and got a pontoon... last year...no regrets! It's perfect for an old guy on Champlain, our usual stomping grounds.

Over the 4th of July weekend here at Lake Anna (central Virginia) a pontoon capsize seriously injuring 6 and the 7th person ( young girl) died.  Investigation is on going, but according to news reports it occurred at 10:30 pm and witnesses described the passengers for some unknown reason we all congregated on the front starboard corner causing the right sponson to dive into water flipping the entire vessel and ejecting all passengers into water.

The next day a larger runabout was fueling at one of the local marina fuel docks and caught fire seriously burning 6 people on board.

All boating requires serious attention to safety and proper operation whether underway or moored.

all passengers on one corner, flipping a pontoon? you can't fix stupid!! lol

Not the fault of the boat.

Anyone who drinks and pilots any water craft is also stupid.

• Like 1