Got out with a buddy this morning for a quick jig trip. The scouting today revealed stacked bait inside 80 and very deep temp (55° down 90) as a result of the water shift the salmon seemed scattered and marks were hard to come by. Managed one king on jig down 30 over 120, another one took my jig and got away with it lol. Had an additional fish take two shots but no hookup on him. My buddy had one light swipe but no real opportunity. Most marks we saw were in 120 ish and then in 160. But again, screen just let us know that jigging was gonna be tougher today as we never really found them. Called it a morning at 8:40am.

It’s become clear that jigging just flat out works. Kings readily and hungrily look to take the vertical jig when you find them. In fact I would wager they are easier to get to bite than these lazy Lake Ontario Lakers.  Really the two challenges are hooking them well and finding fish to jig to. Otherwise, it’s very effective at enticing bites. In 5 jigging outings we have landed 10 kings, 3 Lakers, 1 coho and 1 steelhead. In that same time span we have done well over 30 bites. 

Exciting to dial this in and make it a workable strategy!

IMG_8055.jpeg

Edited by idn713
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thought if you while watching a west coast salmon show ad they were jigging.  Big singles is what they had on the jigs.

When I was out in BC years ago, I saw guys casting and jigging the spoons back while we were on a head boat but at the time didn't think to look at the hooks but they been doing it for decades out there.

20240715_171304.jpg

Edited by zach

29 minutes ago, zach said:

Thought if you while watching a west coast salmon show ad they were jigging.  Big singles is what they had on the jigs.

When I was out in BC years ago, I saw guys casting and jigging the spoons back while we were on a head boat but at the time didn't think to look at the hooks but they been doing it for decades out there.

20240715_171304.jpg

They definitely get into them on the west coast and I think you are right. Whether if it’s a single or a treble I believe upsizing is the key. Basically give them something that will really stick them with minimal effort.