Large plugs for Kings

Would running plugs of these size targeting Kings (plus mixed bag species) be a good bet in mid August around Oswego? Or are they too big? 

Want to see if it would be good to run in addition to spoons and flies.

Thanks 

IMG_7572.jpeg

I used to flatline a medium sized shad rap over deep water and it would very often put a big king in the boat when nothing else would.  That said, there are better things to run that will be more consistent.  I ran the shad rap when i didnt have a ton of gear and an extra lure in the water was better than nothing.  The lures in the picture arent too big but i would be concerned they would run too shallow this time of year. (most productive water is usually more than 40 feet down later summer)

The top lure is a good one early in the season then the fish are much shallower.

Edited by 13owhunter

Thanks 13 for the insight. That’s good to know about that top lure as I have a bunch of them.

What are your thoughts about flatlining some smaller ones like these that have a less aggressive bill (so they are not a deep diver). 

would these be better behind a dipsy or running deep on a downrigger??

does anyone have any insight on the action of a stick bait (like these smaller ones)  behind a 8 spin doctor? Would that be a good combo.

IMG_7574.jpeg

Don't complicate things . Proven spoons and flasher / fly or meat rigs.

Watch Yankees reports and use what he does . 

If that doesn't work it your location or presentation 

Our largest king, 42lbs came on a larger plug behind a dipsey, but has been awhile. We also took our largest Lake Michigan kings on j plugs behind dodgers, sometimes being a bit different gets you difficult fish. 

Heck they use spin n glow for kings in Alaska.

You can catch fish pulling a plug behind anything or flatlining one but there are better methods that will out fish plugs almost all of the time in the summer.  HB2 has good advice.  Most of us are using proven techniques and do not run plugs until the fish are staging.

53 minutes ago, 13owhunter said:

You can catch fish pulling a plug behind anything or flatlining one but there are better methods that will out fish plugs almost all of the time in the summer.  HB2 has good advice.  Most of us are using proven techniques and do not run plugs until the fish are staging.

I think you catch bigger fish on plugs year around from my experience. I think it depends on quantity vs quality but I have a plug out most of them time year round. I took a couple decades off salmon to pursue Muskie and having come back to salmon I am still finding they like big baits.