Magnum 5 goes up down too fast

those riggers have a speed of 250fpm and don't have any slow down before stopping in either direction. i recommend using Omish Outfitters downrigger snubbers, it cushions the stop shock. the Planer Board Snubbers work great also. hope this helps. 

55 minutes ago, jollyroger said:

those riggers have a speed of 250fpm and don't have any slow down before stopping in either direction. i recommend using Omish Outfitters downrigger snubbers, it cushions the stop shock. the Planer Board Snubbers work great also. hope this helps. 

Ya I have a snubber but the speed is stupid fast. My Optimum has speed control and it’s nice on the gunnels of the boat. In no circumstance does a Downrigger ever need this high of speed, it’s overkill. I was thinking maybe a voltage regulator? Or maybe 2 snubbers, release cable between the two? I do know that if my optimum is on high speed going down the line out from the release sometimes gets caught on the line going back up to the rod, way too fast. What the heck is canon thinking here? 

One way to slow them down is by instead of flicking the swiitch. You can just loosen the wheel a bit and that way you can decide what speed to go with. Just don't forget to tighten them up when you reach your chosen depth.

On 7/18/2024 at 1:36 PM, John 7777 said:

Won’t even give us the option of a low speed spool🙄

I've been talking with product development about this. IF it will ever happen IDK.

On 7/18/2024 at 2:25 PM, jollyroger said:

get in touch with YANKEE TROLLER, he works at KRENZER MARINE. they sell CANNON, he might have an answer for you.

Not much you can do about it that I know about.

I have the cannon 10s.  I found that the scotty down rigger snubbers work extremely well.  Prior to using them we were having a problem with the speeds occasionally snapping the ball and everything off.  Once we started using them specifically its been great.  Cannon really wants you to get the lure to the fish fast 😂 unfortunately sometimes it backfires.   Good luck.   Tight lines 🎣🎣🎣

• Like 1

When I had Cannon riggers, I too didn’t care for the snap on the retrieve shut off. I put snubbers(Amish maybe?) on?  They added so much blow back, I had  no idea where my baits were at and I didn’t like having all that extra crap in the water. I sold the whole lot and moved on to a whole different set up. Snubbers work, but have their own challenges. 

On 7/18/2024 at 8:03 PM, rolmops said:

One way to slow them down is by instead of flicking the swiitch. You can just loosen the wheel a bit and that way you can decide what speed to go with. Just don't forget to tighten them up when you reach your chosen depth.

On 7/19/2024 at 5:48 AM, jollyroger said:

the mag 10st has the same circuit board as the 5st. I have 5st's and have been on boats with 10st's and they work the same way.

9 hours ago, Yankee Troller said:

I've been talking with product development about this. IF it will ever happen IDK.

Not much you can do about it that I know about.

Yankee Troller yell at them if you need to lol. They are paying way too much attention to speed, but if it’s too much and we can’t adjust it then we’re left with a boat anchor. My only option right now is to order the Optimum housing and circuit board and convert this Mag 5 to an Optimum. I’d rather just slow it down with a smaller shallow spool… or add a resistor? 

8 hours ago, John 7777 said:

Yankee Troller yell at them if you need to lol. They are paying way too much attention to speed, but if it’s too much and we can’t adjust it then we’re left with a boat anchor. My only option right now is to order the Optimum housing and circuit board and convert this Mag 5 to an Optimum. I’d rather just slow it down with a smaller shallow spool… or add a resistor? 

If you want slower riggers, buy slower riggers or riggers you can adjust the speed. I like the speed.  The faster I get rods down, the more fish hit the deck!  

• Like 1

Got one, the Optimum. Don’t need 2. Also don’t need a rigger rated for 20 pound ball that the canon service tech tells me don’t use more then 10 because I’ll snap the cable for it going from speed to zero instantly. All they had to do was add soft stop modulation to the circuit board. Lots of ways they could have solved this problem without adding much cost to the unit. 

We run a 20lb weight all the time  on our Optimums. I've never been told by product development, or the service department at Cannon to not use a 20lb weight.

Yes I run a 15 on my Optimum no problem, but it has soft stop and speed control. The Canon tech near where I live told me not to run more then 10 pounds on the Mag 5 or I risk snapping the cable. Says it’s not rare. The weight goes down pretty fast and comes to a sudden stop… snaps the cable. Scotty snubers are rated for 10 pounds, if you buy the heavy duty ones for larger weights they are far less elastic. Could clutch it down, but then your getting up too often if your trying to hug the bottom, and if you read the manual it doesn’t suggest you need to clutch it down to avoid snapping the cable when you stop. So in reality this rigger is not suitable for anything more then an 8-10 pound ball. And we haven’t even discussed the ware and tear on the boat gunnels. 

Recently shook out a "new to me" boat that has cannon Mag 5's  immediately was concerned with the speed and auto stop bounce.  Purchased HD Fish Thief rigger snubbers and on the first fishing trip with them was very happy with my decision.  They absorb the shock and keep the weight just under the water line.  Makes getting to my releases easier too.  May rig up a section of heavy Kevlar braid (or something similar) to tie in between the terminations from the ball to release just incase it ever comes loose there would be one last hope that i don't lose the weight if the snubber breaks. (similar to the idea of the Dacron that they used to put inside the LJ dipsey snubbers).  Something about not trusting a jelly-rope just hot-welded together... 

Get rid of Cannon cable, put on Scotty cable.  Use Fish Thief snubbers at the ball.  Loosen the clutch to just before slipping than lower the rigger normally with motor.  No more problems!!

21 hours ago, Ecto2 said:

Recently shook out a "new to me" boat that has cannon Mag 5's  immediately was concerned with the speed and auto stop bounce.  Purchased HD Fish Thief rigger snubbers and on the first fishing trip with them was very happy with my decision.  They absorb the shock and keep the weight just under the water line.  Makes getting to my releases easier too.  May rig up a section of heavy Kevlar braid (or something similar) to tie in between the terminations from the ball to release just incase it ever comes loose there would be one last hope that i don't lose the weight if the snubber breaks. (similar to the idea of the Dacron that they used to put inside the LJ dipsey snubbers).  Something about not trusting a jelly-rope just hot-welded together... 

A bit of a story about fish thief snubbers with Scotty cable on my Cannons.  About a month ago I was cleaning my boat and I temporarily put my starboard rigger ball from its normal position to sitting on the transom.  Finished cleaning and forgot to put it back.  Went fishing the next morning.  1 mile across Sandy Pond and 7 miles out to 150 ft of water at 25 mph.  When I went to set the rigger I was shocked that it was out 75 ft but the 16lb torpedo was still attached.  Fell off the transom somewhere during the morning run out.  The snubber was stretched beyond recognition but did not break.  The Scotty Cable also was good. Can't get a better test than that.  

I guess i would say that puts my mind at ease with the snubber quality!!! Thanks for sharing.  Who hasnt had a rigger out still and drive away...$^!+ happens when your on the water long enough.  I do have 2 spools of Scotty rigger line, and i think after the season i will change it out to be safe.

Another hint is to avoid the wire packing up on the transom side of the spool.  I push mine over while retrieving every 20 seconds or so to avoid this. If you don't manually "level wind" a bit the cable will pack up on one side and eventually fall over causing a slack spot in the windings which causes a rough bump when lowering the next time. This can cause a cable breakage especially if not using a snubber with Cannon original cable.   Ask me how I know !!!