Just wondered how long of a lead are you running on your spoons on your 70/80 riggers?

I fished Sunday morning/early afternoon (10am - 2pm) out of Braddock Bay in that 80-110 ft range and marked tons of fish but could only manage one 14 pound king.

Was running about 15ft leads on my spoons off of the riggers.

And to get a decent down speed (2.5-2.8) we had to troll east/northeast, not west or northwest.  To get a down speed of 2.5-2.8 trolling west or northwest we had to crank the surface speed up close to 4 knots!

What directions were you trolling?  Or what direction was best for you?

Thanks!

Mr Kato

1 hour ago, MrKato said:

Just wondered how long of a lead are you running on your spoons on your 70/80 riggers?

I fished Sunday morning/early afternoon (10am - 2pm) out of Braddock Bay in that 80-110 ft range and marked tons of fish but could only manage one 14 pound king.

Was running about 15ft leads on my spoons off of the riggers.

And to get a decent down speed (2.5-2.8) we had to troll east/northeast, not west or northwest.  To get a down speed of 2.5-2.8 trolling west or northwest we had to crank the surface speed up close to 4 knots!

What directions were you trolling?  Or what direction was best for you?

Thanks!

Mr Kato

We worked west to the pump house and back east to the mouth had great temp and speed both directions I always troll on the faster side 2.7-2.8 at the ball was what they liked. I haven't changed my leads off the ball much 24-25ft. Often I've been stacking off the probe rigger 10ft above the probe and 15ft off the rigger cable seems to be working well. Spoon bite for me has been very good in the evenings early mornings and meat has shined later mornings early evenings. Fish the marks mix up the spread with uv and glow and let the fish tell you want they prefer. Hope this helps good luck 🇺🇲

• Like 1