Hit the water around 6AM.  Son was driving and blew over the planned 120ft starting depth.  So we started at 150 and went west/SW.  Watched as more boats seemed to just appear as the morning rolled on, but we had 3 in the boat by 8AM, lost a good handful by then too.  One bigger king hit a brand new DW Bloody death on a purple chinook, ripped line  like he owned it, fought hard for a good 5 minutes until till he porpoised big and as soon as he landed, he was off.   Reel it in to reset and the hook and split ring are both gone!  Never had that happen before.  

We lost a bunch more than we landed and cleaned debris and weeds from the lines a couple few times.   Fleas seemed to be bad only in spots. We hit fish anywhere between 55 and 75 but the best rigger depths were between 60 to 70.  Lots of marks there too.

Great day to be on the lake, as was evident by the number of boats stringing the fishing band that seemed to be 120ft-160ft in both east and west directions as far as you could see.   

Finished 6 for I think 13 or 14.   Lots of shakers today.  Biggest landed were 2 at 15 and 16.  Bloody death took 3 hits, green flasher fly setup took a couple hits, Carbon-14 and the silver cabon took hits.  Mostly rigger and diver action but a mag wonder bread took a fish on a 225 copper and a 10 color with a mag Grinchy that had taken 2 hits and a fish earlier got a little action. 

Tight lines!

SmartSelect_20240728_180815_Gallery.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

20240728_070958.jpg

• Like 5

Yes , there must be a bad batch of split rings out there , because it's going around with other anglers   . I lost one the same way , came back with just the spoon . I changed the split rings and hooks twice on that spoon and a few others as I have been checking . I thought I read some other guy had the same happen. If it's spread apart a little , change it .  

• Like 2

I've heard the same tale from multiple anglers lately. A buddy of mine who's in the know told me that a bunch of fake terminal tackle got released imitating bona fide premier brands like Spro. Now there's stuff showing up from Cape Cod tuna and stripers to Lady O kings where split rings, swivels and connectors are failing. The stuff is apparently made from metal that's about as strong as baked potatoes.

• Like 1

I was thinking about this and I may try and solder the split ring shut like a jump ring . Should not be hard . 

I figure the only reason  is if I need to change out the hook . I'd just cut the whole works off and start again .

I'll try it today and let you guys know 

I'll bet this might be a covid thing . 

Stuff was hard to get and they used what was available. 

• Like 1

The spoon was just purchased from FishUSA, for what it's worth. Literally new out of the package.  Had fish on 2 other new DW mag spoons that day without a problem.   I figured it was just crappy luck, but now I'm questioning that!   Either way the replacement I used took 2 more fish and looks the exact same as when it went on...  like it's supposed to.   

Are these on the newer "China" made Moonshines? I know the new hooks are junk bc I've broke some hooks on the China made ones. Haven't had splits fail yet.