Braddocks 8/4 ignorance on display

Wife wanted to go on the boat for an hour or so this afternoon. Decided to take a ride around the bay, offshore a little sloppy and it was going to be a short ride. Watched a lot of boats blast through the channel, not something I want to do. Saw a boat, 16 or 17 adults and 2 or 3 little girls without life jackets try to go north through the channel trimmed down at enough power to throw a big wake. They buried the prop in the section that’s only a couple feet deep. 4 or 5 guys got out and pushed it back in the channel and last I saw they were drifting north. 
Took a fly by but no way I could tow them anywhere into a stiff south wind through two feet of water. 

View recent photos.jpeg

8 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Wife wanted to go on the boat for an hour or so this afternoon. Decided to take a ride around the bay, offshore a little sloppy and it was going to be a short ride. Watched a lot of boats blast through the channel, not something I want to do. Saw a boat, 16 or 17 adults and 2 or 3 little girls without life jackets try to go north through the channel trimmed down at enough power to throw a big wake. They buried the prop in the section that’s only a couple feet deep. 4 or 5 guys got out and pushed it back in the channel and last I saw they were drifting north. 
Took a fly by but no way I could tow them anywhere into a stiff south wind through two feet of water. 

View recent photos.jpeg

I'd be willing to be they are over the capacity plate and not enough life jackets on that boat.......

This is so strange to see because most of the boaters I have fished with have been so particular about their boats, every little detail about maintaining it and running it.  Add to that the price tag that rig must have!

Some of the antics of pleasure boaters that I witness at the launch on Cayuga lake are disconcerting to say the least.  More often than not it's all about "Don't Drink & Drive".  On land or on the water.  Hope all can be patient and stay safe

I saw a similar thing last week, jet drive boat west of the markers hung up on or next the old break wall. Common sense in that channel  is uncommon. 

I wonder how they killed their motor...vapor locked maybe due to no water intake?  Even if they spun their prop they should be able to get back at idle speed...

They were buried for a while. Eventually five or so men jumped in the water and a bunch of people, including the little girls without PFD’s got on the bow. Looked like a very new very expensive boat. No way the operator was familiar with the channel. I wanted to render assistance but it wasn’t life threatening and no way I could tow that boat with all those people through the channel. 

This is a classic case of more boat than brains.  The boat is a wake boat albeit I cannot be certain it appears to be a Centurion in a 24-26 ft class boat…the cost in north of $300K new.  It’s an inboard with up to 7 ballast tank capable of adding in excess of 5000lbs of ballast to produce the wakes to wake surf.  According to the manufacturer it can handle up to 13 passengers and 70 gallons of fuel.  I count 15 souls in the photo…so likely overloaded.  Second I suspect the knucklehead operator was carrying lots of ballast so he was really plowing his 36” draft through 2 ft of course water (see sentence 1).  It’s a tragedy in the making especially given neither the sheriff nor USCG was on scene to enforce common sense and safety.  Last year a knucklehead here at Lake Anna (Central Virginia) ran his $300K wake boat up on a riprap dike in the dark…totaled the boat.  Alcohol was suspected, but the the knucklehead left the scene before law enforcement arrived.  See photo below.  I won’t continue to editorialize on the need for these type of boats….but I will say it it certainly reinforces Forrest Gump’s adage “stupid is as stupid does.”

image.thumb.jpeg.3eacfdf1136c6b11c0da60493e3e1a5c.jpeg