30 pounder leader - too much?

I have done a bunch of reviews of old posts and have come up with varying options, so i wanted to see if I was on the right track for staging kings in August. I know some of these opinions recommendations can be spitting hairs. But wanted to get your option on my specific setup. 

I just bought seagur blue 30#, I was at the store and there is such minimal thickness difference between the 20 and 30, so I went with 30 as some added insurance for getting a king, plus the low visablity of the line would have marginal impact as it is my understanding that kings are not line shy. 

I intend to run atomic flies and spoons 3/4 inch up to mag behind 8 inch spin doctors. 

Should I stop overthinking it and just stay with 30. Or is there such an advantage of say 2O# as it pertains to the action the leader would have in lure or fly?

Thanks!

Don't run spoons behind spin doctors.  Attractors with flies  - 30# is perfect.  Run 30 pound mono right to a swivel and snap to the attractor - no need for a flouro leader there.   Fly leaders from attractor back to fly I run 50# to get the action I want.  I tie my own fly leaders but if you run pre-made fly harnesses they come ready to rock.

For spoons I rig mono to a swivel then a 4' section of flouro leader to a snap.  For spoons 20# is about right - I run 17# this time of year for kings and 15# earlier in the season and we almost never crack anything off - maybe lose a couple a year but I also fish with very experienced people and running high end reels with smooth drags.  

Thanks angling for insight and tips  , I especially appreciate the heads up about the spoons as I was under the impression that you could run them with a spin doctor. Glad you mentioned as that saves me from going down wrong path. I would be curious to see how they run with a small flutter. Out of curiosity I called dream weaver and the guy said that it is uncommon to run spoons, but he has successfully, said he ran 4 foot leader behind flasher. will use fly and meat rigs with them. 

3 hours ago, lakercandy said:

Thanks angling for insight and tips  , I especially appreciate the heads up about the spoons as I was under the impression that you could run them with a spin doctor. Glad you mentioned as that saves me from going down wrong path. I would be curious to see how they run with a small flutter. Out of curiosity I called dream weaver and the guy said that it is uncommon to run spoons, but he has successfully, said he ran 4 foot leader behind flasher. will use fly and meat rigs with them. 

Good call. :yes: I've done well with spoons behind a dodger with a 5 ft leader for browns on occasion when their deep, but it's not a consistent producer so It would not be in my spread very often.

Edited by spoonfed-1