Tail leader behind 8 inch spin-doctor flasher

I am about to set lines and need guidance about tail leader length. I have seen some big differences in recommendations and want to be sure I have a decent presentation and kick, so far my research has come to these assertions:

For flies behind 8 inch 20-27 inch 

Meat rig behind 8 inch 26-48 inch 

I have also seen rules like set at 3 x flasher length, so in this case 24 inch (8x3). Does that rule hold true for BOTH meat and flies? I have seen notes that even an inch or 2 can make a huge difference, so don’t want to be way off. 

Any recommendations for setting length for both meat and flies would be really appreciated.

Thanks! 

if its a pre made meat rig run it as it was built.  flies it rule is 3x but sometimes longer and sometimes shorter are what is needed.  going to have to experiment.  longer is a slower action on the fly and shorter is more of a action.  

On 8/13/2024 at 8:32 AM, lakercandy said:

I am about to set lines and need guidance about tail leader length. I have seen some big differences in recommendations and want to be sure I have a decent presentation and kick, so far my research has come to these assertions:

For flies behind 8 inch 20-27 inch 

Meat rig behind 8 inch 26-48 inch 

I have also seen rules like set at 3 x flasher length, so in this case 24 inch (8x3). Does that rule hold true for BOTH meat and flies? I have seen notes that even an inch or 2 can make a huge difference, so don’t want to be way off. 

Any recommendations for setting length for both meat and flies would be really appreciated.

Thanks! 

I ran my fly leaders at 24" from the bottom of the hook to the top of the loop. You can change the action of the fly with your trolling speed. Ice cold water early season I would run my leaders at 21" when a slower trolling speed would produce better. Better snap at slower speeds. It's important to stay consistent with your leader length so when you dial something in all your rigs are basically doing the same thing.