BIG PLANERS/SMALL BOAT.... QUESTION

Hey guys, I'll get right to it....

Bought a 20' Starweld. Bought the GLP Mast that uses front seat pedestal mount as receiver. Muddy Creek Boards, pull nice and hard. Moved the eye all the way to the back which should move boards up closer to bow. And still the board track too far back. Considered asking Great Lake Planer to build a "spreader" bar and would move pulleys out. I also use trees, I could go vertical rod holders further back the track, but wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions?

AS ALWAYS, THANK YOU IN ADVANCE...... and LOVE THE LOU COMMUNITY. 

Josh 

Muddy creek has 2 sizes of boards. Small and Large. It is not clear to me if they are heavy wood or some artificial material which would be light. If they are lightweight, they will lay high in the water where they really should be deep in the water thereby creating more resistance. In order to make them pull harder, you should  put like a pound or 2 of lead on the outer side board. This will make them run deeper and pull harder.

The best solution would be a change to either Otter boats with single or double keels, or Amish boards which also pull very hard.

As an alternative you can make your own boards. If you do that,use cedar and do not paint the wood because it would seal it, while you want the wood to soak up the water in order to lay deeper in the water

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, thank you again for the responses. Yeah the muddy creeks are a synthetic material, built well, even pull pretty good. I moved holes back 2 inches, and tried that, threw off the balance, and think weighting may help that. But definitely moving away from trees to vertical gunwhal holders to get away from the tow line. But again thank you, and thank you LOU for this open forum. 

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps you have the smaller Muddy creek boards?

I run their bigger boards, middle setting and they pull great with minimal lag. 

Few days this season I had 2 long coppers per side without issue.

Ran Amish boards for years, the large muddy creeks run much better. 

Never used their smaller boards so cant speak on those.

I also use double keeled otters for spring & shorter junk lines but for longer heavier weighted lines the Muddys pull better.