Lithium Batteries

Not trying to be controversial but I have some concerns.

I wonder if others share the same.

These batteries have a lot of potential but I remain unconvinced. I understand they are prone to sudden fire if 

banged a bit and do not weather extreme temperatures very well - hot or cold. I hear in Florida car owners have been requested to park their vehicles always outside due to the sudden fire phenomenon. Then there is the cost. I don’t we have seen yet “economies of scale” which should lower price. 

What are your thoughts ? 

jim

LiFePO4 batteries are much less prone to fires than other types of lithium batteries.  At this point you can get good ones on amazon for about $200 a piece (Weize) which, in my opinion, makes AGM batteries obsolete.  Less than half the weight, lasts 10x longer and holds full voltage all the way to 0%.  Only downside I see is you cant charge them below freezing.  Really not an issue for me as my setup is easily disconnected and brought inside.

These batteries are just a bunch of 3.6v cells with a computer controlling charging.  Same cells that are used in everything these days, power tools, flashlights EVs etc.  

There are a different types of "Lithium" batteries with different chemical properties.  Lithium iron phosphate batteries are not prone to catching fire like lithium ion batteries.

Almost all the instances of "lithium" batteries catching fire, exploding etc are NOT LiFePo4.  Don't take my word for it, do a quick google search for LiFePo4 vs Lithium Ion.

A good LiFePo4 battery should be safer than an AGM battery simply because most of them have an onboard computers (BMS) and temperature sensors which will protect it in the event of overheating, bad charger etc.  This technology is here to stay.

22 hours ago, 13owhunter said:

" Same cells that are used in everything these days, power tools, flashlights EVs etc. "

Just noting that the type of lithium battery you're promoting are not used in "everything" at this time...

Edited by salmoseine

Agree with the above statement however I did some research and have to correct myself.  There are a couple of different chemistries used in current standard 18650 type cells depending on the application.   The newer chemistries like LiFePo4 (and 2 or 3 other common ones) are not prone to fires like the older lion type batteries.

Edited by 13owhunter