Yep.  If you’re fishing inshore just put your lures on the marks right now. If you can make it offshore the fish will be more active and you can go back to fishing temp. Always have I bait in the marks though. 

I’m really looking forward to going in the AM.  I only have a few Ontario trips left as I’ll start trolling for Muskies on the Larry.  As one of my fishing buddy says…”You troll 20 seconds before Christmas”.

We landed a really nice 54” female a few years back…looking to best that but boy I find it very difficult.

Anyway, I’ll try to report what my experience is tomorrow.  If anyone wants to talk out on the water…PM me or something and we can exchange numbers.

• Like 1

Fished Thursday by the stack in 120-150 FOW . Got a king on 95 rigger FF. Picked up another king on 250 dipsey FF. 

IMG_6021.jpeg

IMG_7797.jpeg

• Like 3

Great fish!  

My plans changed a bit…didn’t get out on Friday because I had some work issues develop.

Good to see some fish, but I’m hearing it’s very, very slow out of Oswego.

It looks like I’ll be out on Monday now but perhaps Mexico or Henderson would be a better play.

What are you guys thinking…?

Tom

I fished Friday morning in Mexico . Fished 120 to 160 fow . Didn’t mark many fish . We got 2 small kings and a coho . Two fish on FF and a small king on a spoon .  Coming back up Monday to fish the week . I will report this week. 

IMG_7821.jpeg

IMG_6025.jpeg

IMG_7819.jpeg

• Like 1

Fished Sunday from 100 out to 225 FOW both straight out of the harbor and in front of 9 mile. Didn't mark much until I got over to the plant and then found a few pods of bait from 90-110. Marked fish all over the screen from 15 ft down to 120 ft. It looked like there was a thermocline or something at about 15 ft down, but I have no idea what it was - especially with temps being anywhere from 67F to 47F at 110 ft depending on where the current was.  Tried everything but meat (didn't have it) at all depths. No hits. Fish would come up and check the ball or cruise up and down the water column. Lots of boats, didn't see a lot of fish being caught. Lost a rod overboard, but fortunately I had the line in my hand. It was set at zero drag so I had to peel all the line off to the arbor knot before I could pull it back in. The knot held, got the rod back and then had to reel all the line back. Fun.

• Like 1

Fished Sunday from 1pm till 8 pm. Left the harbor and headed NE. Found a halfway decent screen around 3 PM and worked the 150-160 water. Riggers down 125 and 117, Mag Dipseys down 125-130. Ended up going 8 for 9, one brown, one coho and the rest kings. Tried the usual 2.4 and 2.5 at the ball and wouldn’t get hit. 2.0-2.2 was the number. Idk why. FF in chrome with super UV and a stud glow fly was the star of the show. 

• Like 1

We ran trips Saturday and Sunday both 6 hour trips - both days we ran to deeper water as I wasn't willing to bet on the staging adults for consistent action with charter clients in tight quite yet. Some boats did end up getting them but many guys struggled - Offshore we did 26 bites Saturday and 18 bites Sunday in the deeper water to get a full box each day and back to the dock early.  Meat program for us mostly.  Did have a few spoon bites on Stingray and Mag sized spoons both days. High rigger loaded with a spoon which took a few adult bites each morning and a high copper first hour with a spoon which we then swapped over to meat on a longer copper as the morning wore on and the higher bite seemed to die.  Otherwise meat on every rod.  Currents were tricky on Saturday but better on Sunday.  Still piles of adults offshore - the next few weeks look promising!

Edited by AnglingAddict
typo
  • Like 2

OK this is interesting and very helpful.  I appreciate you guys sharing your experience.  Grayseve0406 is an afternoon bite type thing…in close.  ChrisS is what I have been hearing…and it sucks!  I feel badly for the people that travel longer distances and have to stay several days only to end up in that kind of situation.  AnglingAddict…wow!  Terrific report…but, how far offshore?  LOL. How deep were you?  In my 19 foot Lund I don’t go much past 400FOW ish…

Thanks again for sharing guys!  I appreciate it.

1900 Tyee

I had non stop action yesterday. 150 FOW just south of the islands. Kings, Lakers, browns. Tons of fish. 

I had to pull the lines out just to eat some lunch. Not a bad problem to have. Lost a big hen right at the boat. She was probably 20 plus. Struggling to get her in the net, started handlining her to the net and she gave one last tug and snapped the line. Lost my best spoon of the year. 

Heading back out tomorrow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1900Tyee said:

OK this is interesting and very helpful.  I appreciate you guys sharing your experience.  Grayseve0406 is an afternoon bite type thing…in close.  ChrisS is what I have been hearing…and it sucks!  I feel badly for the people that travel longer distances and have to stay several days only to end up in that kind of situation.  AnglingAddict…wow!  Terrific report…but, how far offshore?  LOL. How deep were you?  In my 19 foot Lund I don’t go much past 400FOW ish…

Thanks again for sharing guys!  I appreciate it.

1900 Tyee

We were out there - mile or two from the border about 17 miles from home - historically the offshore bite really starts to dwindle this time of year for the adult fish - still pockets of them out there but not sure how much longer it will last.   Lots of debris on the ride out so we left the slip after we could see.  Hit something coming in Saturday but no vibration felt after the fact - never saw it.   

thanks for all the great info guess wont make the long trip, this weekend maybe wait till next for last trip.

Will keep watching to see if anything changes.

16 hours ago, Amylee said:

thanks for all the great info guess wont make the long trip, this weekend maybe wait till next for last trip.

Will keep watching to see if anything changes.

Its always worth going - My favorite saying is don't be the guy who chases reports - be the guy who makes the report.  By the time people start to hear of a "hot" bite its usually a couple days old at best. 

• Like 1

Yep, I cancelled a 3 day trip to oak this year because windfinder was calling 25 mph wind. Stayed home and my friend reported calm seas and a blood bath. Wind report not looking great this weekend but I'm going. It's getting late!!