Tiger Trout

Seeing that Captain Matt French of Class A Sportfishing caught one out of Rochester last weekend, it got me thinking.  Why doesn't the DEC start stocking them in Lake Ontario?  Promote them as a trophy fishery on Lake Ontario and its tributaries! 

I caught a big TT in the Genesee river this spring near Wellsville.  There have been documented cases of fish that made it all the way from the southern tier to Lake Ontario.  I think the TT were put in there before the big derby they have every spring in Wellsville.  They are raised by private trout farms.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pete Collin said:

I caught a big TT in the Genesee river this spring near Wellsville.  There have been documented cases of fish that made it all the way from the southern tier to Lake Ontario.  I think the TT were put in there before the big derby they have every spring in Wellsville.  They are raised by private trout farms.

I guess they raise them at the Rome hatchery.  A lot of the browns for Lake Ontario come from the Rome Hatchery.  I think it would be a really cool addition to the fishery.  

2 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

I guess they raise them at the Rome hatchery.  A lot of the browns for Lake Ontario come from the Rome Hatchery.  I think it would be a really cool addition to the fishery.  

Probably because they can't reproduce and it would be a waste of effort and money.

11 minutes ago, spoonfed-1 said:

Probably because they can't reproduce and it would be a waste of effort and money.

Are browns naturally reproducing in the lake?  Lakers are around 1%.  What is the coho natural reproduction rate?  Steelhead? Atlantic salmon?  It's not about reproducing; it's about providing a sportfishery.  

The reason is likely the extra work it takes due to the different number of chromosomes for each species.  To have decent hatchery success they have to heat shock the eggs to create and extra set of chromosomes to boost survival.

• Like 1

Go away with that nonsense. If you really want a fish to promote go with a hybrid Chin-Ho. Some of the largest Salmon that get caught each year are these hybrids.

if we really want to get crazy with the genetic manipulation lets go triploids for chinook just a handful to create the opportunity for true monsters   Realistically I don't think they should be looking to introduce anything that new.  its a struggle as it is to keep a handle on the overall predator prey ratio and we are still very much in the guessing stages about interpreting the data to maintain it so to throw in a new variable that would be completely unknown on the lake is just asking for problems

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jm1984 said:

I agree with chin-ho, that would be a great addition to the fishery.

It’s already naturally occurring.  

8 hours ago, Yankee Troller said:

Go away with that nonsense. If you really want a fish to promote go with a hybrid Chin-Ho. Some of the largest Salmon that get caught each year are these hybrids.

Someone post a pic

Not to any significant degree.  It happens like any hybrids in nature to a very small percentage.  It would be a great addition given the typically hyper aggressive nature of hybrids and accelerated growth.

On 8/22/2024 at 9:50 PM, GAMBLER said:

Are browns naturally reproducing in the lake?  Lakers are around 1%.  What is the coho natural reproduction rate?  Steelhead? Atlantic salmon?  It's not about reproducing; it's about providing a sportfishery.  

On 8/22/2024 at 11:01 PM, Jm1984 said:

The reason is likely the extra work it takes due to the different number of chromosomes for each species.  To have decent hatchery success they have to heat shock the eggs to create and extra set of chromosomes to boost survival.

Combined with the numbers they would need to create a fishery in the Lake.

Edited by spoonfed-1

• 3 weeks later...

What would be the point of attempting to establish tiger trout?  What "empty niche" in the fishery would they fill.  Does a brook trout-brown trout hybrid offer anything extra not provided by the mix of exotics out there now?  If it is just a different color for the wall, why not brook trout, and WV golden rainbow (palominos), too?  C'mon guys, first it's "we want a full box" now it's "We wanta full box and all different colors, and lots of big ones, too." 

• Like 1