Owasco 9/8

Made an afternoon trip out on Owasco yesterday. Got to Emerson around noon to a surprisingly full lot of trailers for such a windy day. Worker at the booth said there was a tournament going on so hope everyone got into them. I got out to the lake to a very strong west wind so ran over to the west side of the lake to try and seek some shelter and it looked like all the other boats had the same idea. 

I had some worms in my fridge left over from some dock fishing that I did with the kids so i figured I'd use those up  and try to find some perch in the bays on the north west side. Found a good screen in 25-30 FOW and had the trolling motor working overtime in spot lock because of the wind. Put a worm on a drop shot and had a decent pick of panfish for the next couple of hours. What surprised me was how many 4-5" rock bass I caught while only getting a few small perch. If I had some fatheads I probably could have had a better perch bite, but was still fun catching fish. Did get a couple of nice sunfish and the color on these fish was just outstanding. Didn't look like it belonged in fresh water.

After running through my worms, decided to give trolling a try and found 50F about 50-55' down. Trolled for another couples of hours seeing lots of bait on the west side and some decent screens/marks, but only got 1 small rainbow on a dipsey out 130' on a 3 setting with a hinckley 666. Tried spoons, cowbells and gambler rigs on the downriggers but couldn't find a bite. Usually have decent success with these, but do baits/colors/speeds for lakers usually change as the weather starts to cool off? I'd usually go to Oneida this time of year but was way to windy for there so trying to get a better understanding of fall trolling on the finger lakes. 

458991487_10101193672163710_1641863418342663129_n.jpg

• Like 4