Over pressured fishing

Mikey g

Just a therory of mine so keep that in mind lol.  I moved to henderson harbor ny (south lake ontario) and literally all season long have not put one fish in the boat, with the exception of yellow or silver perch. I came up from Central fl where I have fished oceans,st.johns river, lakes, mesquito lagoon etc  and never have went out and not put targeted fish in the box. I have tried trolling( dipsys with spoons, planers with flicker minnows, erie dearies, drifting stationary you name it I've done it yet still can't get even so much as a hit... now before anyone claims ur not right depth or color choice is wrong speed etc etc I can assure you it's spot on. It's even non existent to see anything on radar when it comes to trying to locate fish, besides bait and perch. Now my main reason for this post is not for fishing advice but I've seen circumstances down south where it simply is just overpressured, a spot or reef that was once a cooler full in a matter of 45 min became a spot where ur just basically washing ur lures.. I work at a local marina and took a ride just yesterday and between my job and the marina otw out of the channels I counted 17 charter boats, that's not even counting the two other marinas which have roughly 20+ there as well. Water quality is not bad, Temps aren't too bad does anyone think that this area is just over fished and too pressured? I mean let's take an even number and say 20 charter boats take an average of 5 fish each per day running 7 days a week most of the time multiple trips a day that's 100 fish a day!! Now last month or so even the charter guys aren't catching much and they are having to go further and further away.   Is big lake fishing really this bad or am I missing something because in 20 years I've never went so long and not caught fish and there's really no explanation as too why in the bays without traveling 45 minutes out into open water the fish are just not around.   Thanks for any input yall!!

Fishing the bays is tough in the summer but should pick up soon for pike, walleye and pickerel with the fall bite. From what I’ve seen and heard the laker, brown and salmon fishing has been one of the best in many years although has slacked in the last couple weeks due to warm water top to bottom. As for the bass fishing the eastern basin an st Lawrence is rated #1 in the nation. It’s also the only place in the state that has no limit on perch.

It is a big lake with lots of fishless water.  Perhaps you should book a charter and see what is working in this region as there are plenty to be caught. Also fish can move quickly and what was hot yesterday May be empty today.

• Like 1

Yea the charter guys are going further and further out fishing for browns and kings real deep 150ft+. And I have not fished those depths I'm more referring to walleye  and pike.  It's crazy I think my boat might be cursed I can take my 13.5 kayak out with motor and catch pike trolling yet use the boat everyday and catch a suntan lol

26 minutes ago, Kevin J Legg said:

Fishing the bays is tough in the summer but should pick up soon for pike, walleye and pickerel with the fall bite. From what I’ve seen and heard the laker, brown and salmon fishing has been one of the best in many years although has slacked in the last couple weeks due to warm water top to bottom. As for the bass fishing the eastern basin an st Lawrence is rated #1 in the nation. It’s also the only place in the state that has no limit on perch.

It is a big lake with lots of fishless water.  Perhaps you should book a charter and see what is working in this region as there are plenty to be caught. Also fish can move quickly and what was hot yesterday May be empty today.

Yea I get it I havnt done bass fishing been trying to target fish I'm new too(walleye, pike,pickeral)  it just gets discouraging going out day after day not getting anything. And yes the brown trout and salmon are good only issue for me at least is they are catching way out and 150ft+ water which I'm not entirely familiar with this lake and days I do go out have been a Lil rough for my 15ft whaler lol.  I'm trying to keep positive maybe I'm just spoiled fishing saltwater where you can literally have redfish caught with a gold hook and no bait lol.  I will Def take this into consideration thankyou for your input my man

1 hour ago, Gill-T said:

Charter boats would not be in the spot you are fishing unless they were catching something. 

With all due respect following and fishing these chater captains spots that make their living from doing this isn't my plan.. I personally wouldn't want a weekend warrior drying up my spots and telling all his buddies about it for fishing pleasure while taking money out of these captains mouths.(there's alot of these type of guys around my area) and before you know it undersized or not they keep all fish.   I've mainly been targeting walleye and pike although Oct I do plan on deep water jigging for kings 😎 

2 minutes ago, Kevin J Legg said:

In another month the perch will move into Henderson Harbor. Just go where you see the boats and you should be able to catch plenty of big perch.

Yea I never have a problem catching perch have a deep freezer full(stocking up for winter 😆)

6 hours ago, Mikey g said:

Yea the charter guys are going further and further out fishing for browns and kings real deep 150ft+. And I have not fished those depths I'm more referring to walleye  and pike.  It's crazy I think my boat might be cursed I can take my 13.5 kayak out with motor and catch pike trolling yet use the boat everyday and catch a suntan lol

We have had lots of west blows this August / Spetember.  When that happens, it stacks warm water up in the Eastern end of the lake.  Once the lake settles out and temps cool, you will see things get better.  

• Like 1

My opinion is you're fishing in the worst part of the Lake for Salmon. Up there, you're better off targeting warm water species.

As far as pressure of taking too many fish out of the lake. Think about it this way. Between NY and Ontario we put about 1 million Salmon in the lake each season. According to the data they collected with a 9yr tagging study natural reproduction is about 50% on average. So, with that said 2 million Salmon enter our system each Spring. 100 Salmon taken a day out of one harbor isn't putting a dent in it. If we were that good on the lake the trib fishery would be bad, and it never is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Yankee Troller said:

My opinion is you're fishing in the worst part of the Lake for Salmon. Up there, you're better off targeting warm water species.

As far as pressure of taking too many fish out of the lake. Think about it this way. Between NY and Ontario we put about 1 million Salmon in the lake each season. According to the data they collected with a 9yr tagging study natural reproduction is about 50% on average. So, with that said 2 million Salmon enter our system each Spring. 100 Salmon taken a day out of one harbor isn't putting a dent in it. If we were that good on the lake the trib fishery would be bad, and it never is.

Yes I've been mainly targeting pike and walleye yet caught sum off docks none in the boat lol..  and I'm more referring to pressure as far as like scaring the fish away from spots.. I'm new to Northern fishing so I could be way off I've just seen in the south too many people outfish an area and the fish don't come back there.

11 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

We have had lots of west blows this August / Spetember.  When that happens, it stacks warm water up in the Eastern end of the lake.  Once the lake settles out and temps cool, you will see things get better.  

That's what I'm hoping for!! I'm brand new to fishing upnorth and lakes in general.  I think I need to get the saltwater fishing frame of mind and throw it out the window and start fresh. It's definitely a mind trick lol

If you’re having a hard time figuring out the fishery then hire a charter.  It will give you the on the water insight and tips you need to fast track your learning on a new fishery.  Most guys are happy to tailor a trip to what you’re looking to get from it.

3 hours ago, Mikey g said:

Yes I've been mainly targeting pike and walleye yet caught sum off docks none in the boat lol..  and I'm more referring to pressure as far as like scaring the fish away from spots.. I'm new to Northern fishing so I could be way off I've just seen in the south too many people outfish an area and the fish don't come back there.

Sorry, I guess I didn't realize it wasn't for Salmon.

9 minutes ago, greenfish said:

Yankee troller  what do you consider the best area ,new York side . for salmon. East of oak I'm in Mexico Bay this season but looking for more productive location 

These are just my opinions, but you won't catch me East of Sandy Creek after April.

April-August Rochester and West

July & August anywhere from Oswego West

On 9/16/2024 at 12:57 PM, 4426 said:

What depths are you targeting for walleye and pike? @Mikey g

Between 5 ft and 30ft and everything in between..  I have rarely even seen anything on fish finder besides bait pods(no bigger fish around or with them)  and perch. Never a shortage of perch lol. Trolled flicker minnows, with and without planers, stationary fishing with erie dearies and drifting with eries.