Boating safey course

rolmops

By January first,  we are supposed to have  passed a boating safety course. We will get a little document to show to the Coast Guard if we are stopped and inspected.

I did this course online in 2014 for free through the Boat US Foundation. After having successfully finished the course I was given a nice looking,but rather bulky diploma which I printed out. I keep a copy in my boat.

I wonder whether this course expires and needs to be retaken or if I am all set.

Does anyone have more info about this?

Thank you.

Edited by rolmops
spelling

On 9/24/2024 at 1:05 PM, rolmops said:

By January first,  we are supposed to have  passed a boating safety course. We will get a little document to show to the Coast Guard if we are stopped and inspected.

I did this course online in 2014 for free through the Boat US Foundation. After having successfully finished the course I was given a nice looking,but rather bulky diploma which I printed out. I keep a copy in my boat.

I wonder whether this course expires and needs to be retaken or if I am all set.

Does anyone have more info about this?

Thank you.

For $5 believe it is now they send you a laminated card that fits in your wallet. But the course it's self is still free as of this past spring. 

Students 18 years of age and older will be required to pay a $10 fee to NYS for issuance of a permanent boating safety certificate.
you get a free 90 day certificate when you complete the course , but the permanent certificate/ card costs 10 bucks 

rolmops - It's still good.  I also took it back in 2014 at boatUS foundation but lost my "diploma."  They had a record that I passed; however a small card (for the free course) goes for $15 plus a "donation" of $10 to keep the course "free."   (I guess they have a different definition of "free" than I have.)