Seneca curiosity

Being a big map nerd, I was studying the bathymetry of Senca Lake and found a cool anomaly (see attached) just north of the salt plant on the west side coming out if Watkins The depth contours indicate a huge rise and fall. I'm thinking it must be a huge boulder left behind by the last glacial ice. Iwas wondering if anyone has targeted this spot and if so, how they fared.

Seneca curiosity.pdf

I know that spot well. Fishing the South end of Seneca goes like this.... you fish all day and dont move a rod OR you catch a bunch of fish in the 2, 3, 4 lb class.

Thats how things have gone for me on that particular stretch you are referring to.

On 10/2/2024 at 12:09 PM, twring23 said:

I was studying the bathymetry of Senca Lake

Have you seen this article in the Conservationist magazine:  "Revealing Seneca Lake's Hidden Secrets", page23, https://cloud.3dissue.com/129417/129610/151833/NYSConsMagAprMay24/index.html   The two leaders of the Seneca Lake Bathymetry Project (see article, Art Cohn and Tom Manley) might be able to provide some info/answers.

Just finished the article. Looks like  I need to get  a subscription. I teach Earth Science at  Corning High School and find it  this topic fascinating.  Thanks again for the heads up. 

• Like 1

Back in the late 2000’s maybe 2010? I became witness to a drop in the bottom bathymetric around the Belhurst hole so significant I thought my graph went bad. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out where the bottom went (supposed to be about 120ft ). Actual depth was now 200ft.  Crazy to see it.  Reached out to the biologist at the time that ran the Hobart boat to see if they had seen similiar readings.  Didn’t really get any sense of interest. Seems these guys in the article are quite into it.