Off the Piers

cgettis

Captain,

By "haulin' them in" I meant catching them, legitimately. I am not from the area and am going to assume that you are referring to "snagging", something I DO NOT agree with or practice :no: . I'll be up in Olcott next weekend, 9th - 12th, and plan on fishing the creek during the day. I am staying in Olcott about 1 1/2 blocks from the lake and thought I might try my luck on the west side pier at night. Wanna make the most of my time while up there in the U.S.A's "Ultimate fishing town" (congratulations by the way) and can't wait to hook into some of the beautiful Browns', Steelheads' and hopefully a few Cohos' that you guys are lucky enough to have year round. Could you provide me with any tips on what I should be using out on the pier? I was thinking a 2/5 Cleo but not sure what colors/patterns might be the best out there at night. Will spawn sacs work? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I think you are hitting the trib fishing at prime time, and sacs and single egg presentations will be your best bets upstream. Down on the piers, it will be more challenging. Not sure how the night fishing will be, but yes sacs produce and 2/5 cleos in glo patterns may also. There are others on this forum better suited to give you tips on the pier fishing, but years ago I always did well with vibrax and roostertail spinners. Stop in to the local bait stores for the latest info. Good luck!